Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
JD 945, JD336, JD348, NH BR7060, NH1033, Ford 5000, IH 784 & 666, JD 2520, 4020 & JD4230
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've started to have a problem with the rolling rack on my NH 1033 not wanting to slide back all the way when the 2nd table cycles. It will load the first 5 tiers or so fine, but when it gets to the 6th and 7th tiers, it will not slide back to let the tier set on the load rack all the way. Sometimes it is bad enough that it will stall out the 2nd table. Also, it seems like the rolling rack is being pitch backwards more than it should be (the top of the rolling rack is further back than the bottom). I had the same problem last year, but some graphite spray on the rollers that ride on the load rack deck cured the problem. I sprayed them again this year, but am still having the problem (just not to the same extent).

Has anyone had this problem before? I did notice that the parts diagram has a "liner" on each side of the front of the rolling rack carriage. Could these be worn out and need replacing?

Thanks in advance, Josh.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I just rebuilt my 1033 rolling rack last year. What I found was that the C channel on each side that the rolling rack runs in had started to bend down, which put pressure on a smaller portion of the rollers. The liner that you spoke of looks a little bit like a brake pad. Mine was bad enough that it threw a roller completely off the wagon when it broke.
I cut new side plates for the bottom of the rolling rack, installed new shafts, installed new roller assemblies, installed new liners, and heated up and bent back the tops of the C channel. The only down side is that those parts are pretty spendy. It requires a good bit of welding and fab work but it was well worth it. I had a little trouble with drag afterward but after forcing it back with a chain a few times getting it broke in it worked great.
The other reason that I have seen them stick is picking up hay that is damp or has heavy dew on it. They usually will start sticking about layer 5 or 6.

Reactions: Josh in WNY

·
Hay Master
302 Posts
Change brake paddy things out for rollers like on top. Problem solved. Did mine 10 years ago because of same reason you stated. Never touched it since, $20 fixes are nice. Just get load rake moving ahead before bringing load rack all the way down. Jar it a bit with brakes.

·
JD 945, JD336, JD348, NH BR7060, NH1033, Ford 5000, IH 784 & 666, JD 2520, 4020 & JD4230
1,046 Posts
Change brake paddy things out for rollers like on top. Problem solved. Did mine 10 years ago because of same reason you stated. Never touched it since, $20 fixes are nice. Just get load rake moving ahead before bringing load rack all the way down. Jar it a bit with brakes.
Do you ever have problems with the rolling rack moving back too easily? I don't have any big hills, but there are a few that I make sure I'm picking up the bales while traveling uphill so the bales on the load rack don't fall forward. I'd hate to look back and see the load rack had slid back with only a couple tiers on it, too. :D

·
Hay Master
302 Posts
Valving/ plumbing would have to be store bought from new holland......better bring first born son to pay for it. And not the bad one....gonna have to be the good son.

·
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I found a quick fix yesterday. I used spray on graphite to coat the area where the brake pads ride on the load rack and the problem was instantly cured. I do think this is a band-aid, not the real fix, but at least it got the hay in.

·
117 Posts
I’ve decided that’s what I’m going to do, machine shop 200 to make 2 rollers, what did you use for 20$?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts