Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Gourmet Horse Hay Producer
3,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My newly acquired JD 6310 has an on again/off again shudder in the right rear. 2wd, 18-34 rears, no fluid, 4 55KG wts each rear wheel, brand new tires. 4K hours, seems well kept, was used as a roadside mower tractor. Drawbar and 3 pt not used before I purchased, still had paint. mower ran off crankshaft in front but was lifted with one of the remotes.

The problem is not related to flywheel as it never happens with just the tractor running but not in gear. Not related to PTO as it happens with and without pto engaged. Seems most prevalent around 3-5 mph (my baling and then cutting speed. Happens in turns and straightaways. Had it at a decent JD shop for a week and they feel it but have no clue. They think it is tire related. I do not see how given the slow speed and being on grass. I had it at the shop as a preventative measure since I had no clue but did not want something to do me dirty in the middle of hay work. JD tech that worked on it said it was a really nice unit.

Anyone experience what I am, and if so, what was it?

·
Hay Master (Supposedly)
4,034 Posts
My first thought is tire lug shudder also. What is the make and model of tire?

·
3,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The tires are 460 R85-34 Ceats. Brand new, replaced by the seller before my purchase. Tread pic attached. I don't know anything about Ceats but they come up right away if you google search. I just don't understand how you get that kind of vibration on grass at 3 mph. If on a road at 10 mph, then sure. Now they don't have fluid and I am used to fluid in tires FWTW.

Attachments

·
Hay Master
5,071 Posts
My newly acquired JD 6310 has an on again/off again shudder in the right rear. 2wd, 18-34 rears, no fluid, 4 55KG wts each rear wheel, brand new tires. 4K hours, seems well kept, was used as a roadside mower tractor. Drawbar and 3 pt not used before I purchased, still had paint. mower ran off crankshaft in front but was lifted with one of the remotes.

The problem is not related to flywheel as it never happens with just the tractor running but not in gear. Not related to PTO as it happens with and without pto engaged. Seems most prevalent around 3-5 mph (my baling and then cutting speed. Happens in turns and straightaways. Had it at a decent JD shop for a week and they feel it but have no clue. They think it is tire related. I do not see how given the slow speed and being on grass. I had it at the shop as a preventative measure since I had no clue but did not want something to do me dirty in the middle of hay work. JD tech that worked on it said it was a really nice unit.

Anyone experience what I am, and if so, what was it?
Coincidentally, I experienced the same thing yesterday on my NH TS135A when shredding waterways. I'll be curious how it resolves. My tires are 15 years old, don't show any signs of deterioration. Tractor has 2400 hours on ti.

Ralph

·
Registered
520 Posts
Isolate, isolate, isolate. Separate the issues into meaningful parts. Since you had it at the dealer, I assume you are willing to spend some time or money to chase down the problem. The first thing I would do is temporarily swap rear wheels/tires and see if the problem follows. While the wheel is off and the tractor is jacked up, use a runout gauge to check the axle for straightness. Very easy. You can do the same with the wheels while the tractor is lifted.
I had a new tire on my M9 that did not seat correctly and would 'wobble' at road speeds.

·
3,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Isolate, isolate, isolate. Separate the issues into meaningful parts. Since you had it at the dealer, I assume you are willing to spend some time or money to chase down the problem. The first thing I would do is temporarily swap rear wheels/tires and see if the problem follows. While the wheel is off and the tractor is jacked up, use a runout gauge to check the axle for straightness. Very easy. You can do the same with the wheels while the tractor is lifted.
I had a new tire on my M9 that did not seat correctly and would 'wobble' at road speeds.
I had it at the dealer because the problem didn’t make a lot of sense to me and I didn’t want something obvious to the service tech to become a big problem. I have it home now after they were not concerned (meaning there was no obvious problem). That doesn’t mean that there won’t be one in the future. I have had it in high gear running down the road and no obvious issue.

·
Hay Master (Supposedly)
4,034 Posts
The tires are 460 R85-34 Ceats. Brand new, replaced by the seller before my purchase. Tread pic attached. I don't know anything about Ceats but they come up right away if you google search. I just don't understand how you get that kind of vibration on grass at 3 mph. If on a road at 10 mph, then sure. Now they don't have fluid and I am used to fluid in tires FWTW.
I have seen tires shudder at low speeds like 3-5 mph, and at higher speeds like 15 mph. It all depends on the harmonics of the tractor/tire combination.

Reactions: Hayman1

·
3,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If this 6310 doesn't perform tillage work I'll recommend reversing tire tread travel direction.
No more tillage for me. Cuts and bales

·
3,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Do tires have liquid ballast? If not reversing rim on wheel is relatively easy. BTDT several times
No, just dry weights which take time to remove, if I did that, I would move to opposite side turning 180. No rim removal and would maintain wheel width

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
Which type rear wheels does your tractor have? Most rims on disk centers can be removed from disk without removing weights. I was thinking to temporarily turn RH rim 180° to reverse cleats as a test.

·
3,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Which type rear wheels does your tractor have? Most rims on disk centers can be removed from disk without removing weights. I was thinking to temporarily turn RH rim 180° to reverse cleats as a test.
Actually, I think you have a point there. Steel pressed rims set to max, dished in and on the inside of the rim cleats. I could as you say, just remove just the rim and twist 180 for a test run. Good winter project for curing boredom.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts