Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
“Not a real farmer” farmer
10,999 Posts
To anyone who wants to know: I took about 60 tons of reed canary to local mushroom producer and got $110/ton for it last week.
I had a few round bales left over and asked my cattle owning neighbor if he wanted to try one so I could hopefully earn his business. I put the bale in the field yesterday and they attacked it. Looked again today and they are still chomping on it. They even lay down and rest next to it.
I can sell some of it to him for a much better price than for mushroom hay.

·
10,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wish I could be more accurate. I know I shipped 60 tons off only about 30 acres...

·
1,391 Posts
This was hayed about the first of August in 2010. Made about 14 tons on 3 to 4 acres. no fertilizer, and hadn't been hayed for 2 or 3 years. Took off 750 bales @ 35-40 lbs. Sold it for mulch. Might just get dry enough to hay it again this year! It was too wet to get it last year.
Dave

Attachments

·
182 Posts
I will second the regroth that stuff takes off fast but it is also more prone be grone in wetter spots so there's more moisture there any way. It does yield well but up here I find it's more dense than the og/timothy that I normaly grow so the bales are heavier.

Reactions: downtownjr

·
1,391 Posts
I have heard that the RCG seed is difficult to acquire, as some of the "powers that be" have deemed it invasive.Do any of you have any first hand factual information concerning this? I'm thinking that I would be inclined to try Marathon RCG!
TIA, Dave

·
10,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Apparently the stuff I cut was planted years ago. It is in a flood plain.

·
10,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Is there a way I can test to see the alkaloid level in the stands I'm currently baling? Would be nice to know if it's nutritional enough for livestaock or just sell it all off for 'shroom hay.

·
Hay Master
302 Posts
You guys can get cows to eat reed canary grass, mine drag it outa the feeder and sh*t on it. Spoiled I guess.

·
Super Moderator
8,719 Posts
You guys can get cows to eat reed canary grass, mine drag it outa the feeder and sh*t on it. Spoiled I guess.
Alot is baled here that grows in ditches and lowlands.Alot is baled late and feed value is low and it is tall and rank.If you tub grind it very little waste.If baled with rd baler you have hay that maybe have stems 4-6' long so yea they are going to drag it out of feeders and waste it.

·
10,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nutritionally I guess it's not suitable for the queen of England's cows
but my neighbor has some pretty expensive Irish Dexters and Belted Galloways and they sure loved it! lol

I agree it would be great to have a crop cutter feature on the round baler to shorten it.
I was more or less just reporting that my neighbor's experiment to see if his cattle liked it proved to be true. I plan to keep selling it to the mushroom company.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts