Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Hay Master (Supposedly)
3,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just idly considering an idea here. I have no real input in this situation but it is fun sometimes to seek answers for such problems. It has been my misfortune to rake and bale alfalfa on what amounts to a waste water disposal site. It is a total of 150 acres give or take, and has a center pivot on it to hose on the waste water. This particular piece of ground does not need irrigation in a typical year, and given the amount of water they dump on it erosion and pivot tracks are an ever increasing problem. What this field really needs under the pivot is a grass that tolerates a great deal of moisture plus forms a tough sod that could resist damage from the pivot tower wheels. I got to thinking Reed’s Canary grass might fit the need well here; can’t say I have ever heard about anybody using it as hay in this big an acreage. Anybody out there hay a big chunk of Reed’s Canary and can offer some thoughts on it?

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Have a market for mulch? 1st cutting would be the biggest challenge to get off with any kind of quality. Would make great heifer hay if you could. All later cuttings would make great baleage/silage or dry hay. Yield especially 1st cutting would be high. Local here has I don't know how many acres of reeds canary that he would combine and sell seeds. Just sits now days and we have given thoughts of trying to take mulch off when bored. Hasn't happened yet.

·
Hay Master (Supposedly)
3,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No mulch market here whatsoever. There is a large market for what I call “grinding hay” for cattle feedlot operations.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I’m sure it would make grinding hay. Couple pictures wife took yesterday of reeds canary fields. He just lets them sit anymore. Mows different areas every year and lets it lay. He was the one that combined for seeds

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
got about 60 acres here that we do. We have it planted for the same reason, really wet fields that other species got drowned out and/or layed to wet to harvest. Using reed canary has helped in both of these areas. If you are able to get to the first cutting in time it makes average cattle hay, which we are feeding ourselves to a brood herd. Late cut stuff is either bedding, grinding, or TMR feeding. Second cut is is very different. very broadleafed and soft. Have several horse customers that now request it. The grass absorbs an incredible amount of water and has helped dry out these fields. On a field that size i would want to know of a source to move lower quality forage, when it gets made late the tonnage per acre is insane.

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
Have a market for mulch? 1st cutting would be the biggest challenge to get off with any kind of quality. Would make great heifer hay if you could. All later cuttings would make great baleage/silage or dry hay. Yield especially 1st cutting would be high. Local here has I don't know how many acres of reeds canary that he would combine and sell seeds. Just sits now days and we have given thoughts of trying to take mulch off when bored. Hasn't happened yet.
I doubt it’s destined to be mulch. If the ground is passable enough to currently harvest alfalfa on schedule, it should also be enough to harvest RC while it’s still vegetative and not all stem. Granted, might still end up grinding hay, but there’s some hope of good hay here too I think.

·
Super Moderator
8,731 Posts
I've heard of some hay tasting off form fields that use wastewater if feed in rd bale feeders,grinding it and mxing in a ration shouldn't be a issue tho.Prly different from types of waste water,the hay i was refering to was from a beet plant.

Reedcanary would be grass of choice tho.Will take the high water,and the sodded up soil will help float they hay equipment!

Know of 2 other guys doing this on pretty large scale.One from sweet corn plant waste water and the other from sugar beets.500-1000 acre operations

·
Registered
42 Posts
Nothing wrong with Reeds Canary grass!! We have a hundred acres or so and I bale another hundred. Some of the places here have more. It'll do fine and if you cut it before it gets really stemmy, it's as good as anything.
John

·
Hay Hoser
1,012 Posts
We have some wetter fields that are all RC, as long as you cut it early it makes great hay. Horses love it.

Reactions: Shetland Sheepdog
1 - 9 of 9 Posts