Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
3,000 Posts
The right side is the side that gets filled more than the left side. I go out in the field with all new balers and most used balers so I have seen numerous different operators over the years. What I notice that is consistent among the vast majority is the operators try to fill both sides but they take longer to move to the left side than when they move to the right side. Along with that the operators seldom maintained a tight feed on the left. I think that is due to not being able to see the left side as well as the right.

You also must consider how the windrows are formed. With the large wheel rakes the hay taken in on one side may not be equal to the other side. Even with full width windrows one side is likely to have more hay than the other. Windrows that are heavier in the center just makes the problem worse and the difference more noticeable that the left side is not getting the share of hay it needs.

Making even bales is litterally impossible since you are dealing with factors that are not consistent, hay thicker in one spot, the raker moved off center, the baler operator is not computer controlled, etc.

As one operator said to me, my cows do not complain if the bales are not perfect.

·
3,000 Posts
The difference comes in when baling with a four ft baler vs a five ft baler. Even if the driver has a tendency to move the steering wheel while looking back, which I have not seen, the look back period is short so the baler movement would not be great. Most experienced operators rarely look back, at least not enough to make a difference in bale shape.

It is much easier to make nice looking bales with a four ft baler than a five ft baler, at least in our area where the windrows are heavy or at least heavy enough to fill a four ft baler.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts