Hay & Forage Forum banner
61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
When it cools off, it is setting in the sun and its freaking HOT out there right now. There are matching cuts on the back side, offset just like one would see from the plunger knives. Without springs to pull it back, it was easy to kick that tooth up 90* and make it stick to the outside of the other tooth. There is just enough play that the tooth can be moved to the outside of the front teeth, front being the set facing the plunger. That notch is how far away from the front tooth it sticks out when stuck to the outside of the front tooth. This is the tooth at the rear of the chamber, closest side to the fixed knife. When I get a chance i will see if I can get up to see the knives and check for damage too. I just got an endoscope for fathers day, I got a first use case for it right here.

EDIT:
I did go out and sitting on the ground, in the shade of the machine I was able to rotate the flywheel and observe the movements. Those marks must have been in that tooth when I got the machine, There IS no freaking way that tooth could get caught in the knives unless the tooth was ripped out of the holder. The carriage is no where near the plunger when it starts coming forward. It can get stuck against the first set without the springs, that I know as fact because that is how I found out the springs were missing. Thats where the shiny spot came from, but the knife marks, that must have happened in the past with it coming out the holder. thats good, that means the shear bolt broke because it was the incorrect one for the amount of grass being fed into it. I am going to Messicks page now to find the correct bolts, check their price with shipping and check with the NH dealer I bought the tedder from to see if they are less expensive and in stock. For Case/IH parts, they are the same as my Kubota Dealer, so I get the parts locally, but the NH parts I got through them, I just found a local one, if a 43 minute drive is considered local.
They will probably be in stock but in my experience will be the same price as Messicks. Dealer pricing doesn’t seem to different significantly.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Messicks is out of stock. 3-7 days. At least I have the part number now.
Check these guys out. I’ve ordered from them quite often. My local NH dealer leaves a little to be desired in getting parts for older equipment.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Check these guys out. I’ve ordered from them quite often. My local NH dealer leaves a little to be desired in getting parts for older equipment.
I actually do buy from them. In this case I just had a local driveline shop weld on a new yoke and install new u joint for significantly less than the parts would have cost from NH.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I just did a search for new holland 39716 and found OEM on Ebay, pack of 10 for under $12. Looks like the ones that were included with my baler were grade 8, not grade 5, so will swap that one out once the new ones arrive. The others were grade 2, which sheared rather easily plus were too short of a shank, sheared on the thread. They do look like the correct bot with a long shank, short threads and the same lock nut pictured on multiple Hew Holland pages for that part number. They appear to be from a tractor supply store, so will see if they are legit NH bolts when they arrive. Messicks must have just got a shipment is, shows over 100 in stock now where they were 3-7 days before.

·
Registered
66 Posts
if you want your pto to keep ptoing your tractor should be idiling while engaging the pto.

increase speed gradually until you get up to speed.

it is a common greenhorn mistake to rev up the engine and engage pto

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
if you want your pto to keep ptoing your tractor should be idiling while engaging the pto.

increase speed gradually until you get up to speed.

it is a common greenhorn mistake to rev up the engine and engage pto
Been doing that for 25 years.

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
Now I know shear bolts are the way to go but those seem to say grade 5 on them. Besides shorter threads and longer shank is there a difference in the grades?

·
Registered
422 Posts
Those are mystery bolts. But I have used such in the past, that the NH dealer at the time sold me. The same old 290 baled the few I had yet this year. The old dealers SIL was always pulling some trick to make the company more profit like that. After they quit and the closest dealer was 100 mile they looked better. But we again have dealer in town and they don't sell the after market as if was genuine NH.

61 - 71 of 71 Posts