Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tractor (NH TT75) has a PTO engaging lever (Big orange knob) and PTO coupling lever (under the seat). For the life of me I cant explain why there are two levers that essentially do the same thing.

Also when I try to engage the coupling lever when the engine is running, it grinds. I have to turn the tractor off and then move it and turn the tractor back on. Is this normal?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
558 Posts
Use the big orange knob and leave the lever under the seat alone.

The big orange knob will operate a hydraulic clutch.

The lever under the seat will shift a dog clutch mechanically. That why it grates. Yes, the grating is normal. It is possible that this lever can be used to shift between different PTO speeds or modes (e.g., engine or ground). The operator's manual will explain it.

Roger

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Roger. Well, that´s the thing: the manual is very vague. The only difference the lever really makes is that I can turn the PTO by hand when I am trying to engage a PTO driven implement and makes it slightly easier. Other than that, it is pretty much useless.

·
95 Posts
My MF4608 has a similar setup. A knob in the cab to engage the hydraulic clutch and a lever under the cab to switch between 540 rpm - neutral - 1000 rpm.

I disengage the lever when connecting/disconnecting implement PTOs. That is exactly what it is for. Sometimes my square baler will 'load' the PTO splines due to the position of the plunger. When I disconnect the lever, the baler will run to a neutral position and make it easier/safe to unhook the PTO.

DO NOT engage the mechanical lever when the hydraulic clutch is also engaged. Those gears are not designed for that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts