Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello pro farmers n friends , I’m in need of getting squares to barn, at fifty plus, kids grown, it getting unquestionable for me to have a bale available to customers. Got rolling ground, not experienced at motorized bale pickeruperable equipment, looking hard at new Holland bale wagons, none within 5 hr from me, question is, how much trouble to remove sides an haul on gn trailer , only way hay squares have ever been moved in my lifetime is by hand, no hands as of late, front ldr grapple seem like a lot of clutch work . Anyway, looking at specs they seem tall and wide, how much trouble to take off sides an trailer home is my concern right now. Already googled to much, watched to many videos, literally, at night dreaming of second bed falling to fast n first bed not working, lol, I’ve never been in physical presence of a bale wagon, anything that could make professionally relocating one would help me a great deal, thanks, God bless n God Bless America

·
Registered
113 Posts
Sounds like you have a couple of options.
1. Use an accumulator and deal with all the things that go with that. I have never done that, but I can see both good and bad from the outside looking in.

2. Use a harobed, bale wagon, hay stacker, stack cruiser, etc. all the same. I started with a 1032 in ‘94 or ‘95 up until ‘18. Since then, I have been driving a Super 1048. The biggest problem with a stacker is the space that you store your bales in. If you don’t have the height to dump a stack, then you are just adding work. I would lean more towards using option 1. If you have the height, then it comes down to how many bales you are picking up. I would put 68 on my 1032 and the S1048 holds 106, both including 2 tie layers. Pull type or self propelled comes down to how much you can afford and then what is your time worth. If you get a 2-bale wide machine, it is pretty easy to slide the sides off, lay them on the 3rd table and load it up on a trailer. I think that 3-bale wide units are likely too wide for a trailer. You will need something to help you take the sides down. Maybe a tractor with loader, hoist, etc. The sides slide in tubes so that the width is adjustable depending on bale length. (6) 1/2” bolts on each side hold the sides to the machine. This includes the top bar with the bale tines on it. With a bale wagon, it is possible to do all your hay with one person, it just takes longer.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I started with by hand then got a small bale wagon it was an improvement but still took a lot of work. If you are only talking a couple hundred bales on the ground at the time and barns are close I would think a wagon would be good. I still have a 1010 in good shape and 2 for parts (was told 1 of them ran). They are 2 bale wide machines so hauling is pretty easy. I pulled them home farthest was about 6 hours of course fuel was a lot cheaper back then. I have no use for them anymore I went to bundles and haven't looked back.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts