Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Live in northern Florida with winter temps occasionally hitting 28-32 degrees. Would like to know what folks up north do to protect your pipes from freezing? I have mine wrapped and duck taped this year with those pool noodle things which are thicker than the regular black wraps from Lowes. I do leave the pipes slowly draining but that is a pain in the butt plus sometimes water is not dripping fast enough and pvc pipes will freeze, even busting and having to repair them. I heard to close main valve and open faucets to drain water? I sometimes travel for my job so looking to make it easier for wife while I am gone. Thanks

·
Hay Master
5,040 Posts
Almost all of my water lines have about a 2/12 slope going from the middle out. That way, all I have to do is open the lines at both ends and they drain.

I used a quick disconnect on a short hose or a Y valve on the ends and at the hydrant to allow air in/water out,

Ralph

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
Like I said we use the frost free hydrants buried below the frost line but we still sometimes have to heat them a bit with the tape. But it has to be like single digits plus a windchill to do it. I have had them freeze and get hard to turn on but never stop working.

·
Hay Master
5,040 Posts
Like I said we use the frost free hydrants buried below the frost line but we still sometimes have to heat them a bit with the tape. But it has to be like single digits plus a windchill to do it. I have had them freeze and get hard to turn on but never stop working.
If it's outside, I put a 5 gallon bucket inside a Husky heavy duty black contractor garbage bag over it.

The black bag acts like a heat trap and the bucket acts like an air trap. This tends to keep the handle from freezing up. (All it takes is a couple of drops to freeze up the seal.)

Ralph

·
1,309 Posts
RacerBill

As others stated bury water line below frost line then correctly install frost free faucets. This works for me but I seriously doubt FF faucet will work way up North.
They do work way up North. Almost every house has one here. I'm sure most don't get used a lot in the winter but they do work. Hydrants work well also as long as its buried below frost line and the little weep hole has a place to drain the water back down below the frost line when it is shut off.

In our calving pastures we have hydrants to water the cattle. 1000 gallon fiberglass water tanks with a jobe valve installed. Hose from the hydrant to the jobe valve has to be disconnected at night if its gonna get real cold or else the hydrant will crack. Normally by the time we start using those its warm enough they can stay hooked up but not uncommon to get some cold nights and you sure don't want to forget to unhook that hose so the water can drain back down the hydrant.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
RacerBill
As others stated bury water line below frost line then correctly install frost free faucets. This works for me but I seriously doubt FF faucet will work way up North.
I have 3 Woodford's, wouldn't recommend anything else. BTW, I put a five gallon bucket, filled with 'pea stone' below my installations, for extra/better drainage.

Larry

·
Grass Farmer
128 Posts
Live in northern Florida with winter temps occasionally hitting 28-32 degrees. Would like to know what folks up north do to protect your pipes from freezing? I have mine wrapped and duck taped this year with those pool noodle things which are thicker than the regular black wraps from Lowes. I do leave the pipes slowly draining but that is a pain in the butt plus sometimes water is not dripping fast enough and pvc pipes will freeze, even busting and having to repair them. I heard to close main valve and open faucets to drain water? I sometimes travel for my job so looking to make it easier for wife while I am gone. Thanks
up here in Wisconsin, I have all the water pipes that I use in winter buried 6 ft +, and I use a freeze-proof waterer,

http://jugwaterers.com/

is the only way we can get thru our -20F winters days /nights

this might be over kill for your climate, but your water will never freeze!

·
Hay Master
5,040 Posts
As I recall, every area in the country has an rated maximum freeze depth. Hereabouts, it is 3', meaning that the worst the ground will freeze to is 3' so we bury our pipes at 4'. Further north, the freeze depth will go to 5', so 6' would be the bury depth to be safe.

I doubt that the ground freezes more than 1' worst case in Florida, but check with your local USDA office, they'll know.

Ralph

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
RacerBill
They work for me here. I have both a hot water and cold water hydrant

·
Registered
598 Posts
RacerBill

I come from upstate NY originally, dairy farming background, and we had those around and they worked fine as long as plenty of gravel at the foot and was at least 4 foot deep. Used every day like we did I think is also a factor - keeps the "warmer" water moving around at least a little.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.