Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is your opinion of crop cutter balers, are they worth the cost and power requirements?

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I would like it for my personal use. Custom and selling it there is no value in this area

·
Hay Master (Supposedly)
3,771 Posts
Round or square?

Neither are needed for hay.
Both are preferable for silage.
particularly in rounds if feeding into a mixer wagon.
I work with both hay production and hay usage. If it were within my power to do so, all dry hay I get would have gone through a cutter baler. Between a cutter baler and the right mixer wagon, the hay grinder would be a thing of the past without question. Almost all the hay I use goes through a mixer wagon.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I work with both hay production and hay usage. If it were within my power to do so, all dry hay I get would have gone through a cutter baler. Between a cutter baler and the right mixer wagon, the hay grinder would be a thing of the past without question. Almost all the hay I use goes through a mixer wagon.
Seconded. Our Kuhn processor round baler eliminated the hay grinder, now we can put round bales straight into the reel mixer (okay, broken slightly apart by skid steer when we load them) for any ration that we use dry hay in. Otherwise we would be grinding everything or digging out plugged augers in the mixer, neither of which is particularly fun or efficient.

·
Hay Master (Supposedly)
3,771 Posts
The mixer wagons I have currently will handle uncut hay, but I do have to be somewhat cautious about how I dump it in, and if it was cut by the baler, it would process faster in the mixer wagon.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I think you would save hay if you're feeding it out yourself. Watch a cow grab a mouthful from a round bale and it pulls out a bunch of long grass that ends up on the ground, if it's cut up that wouldn't happen. I don't actually know that but seems like it would work that way. Can't see any benefit in selling them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts