Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
junior idiot
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a friendly reminder to be safe out there. Had a little accident today in high wind 100 degrees stacking some hershey straw. A little chaff trapped in my exhaust clamp and I got out and dug it out cause I smelled something, but I didn't think it was on fire. My stacker was still under the stack. I walked to the other side of the stacker to check it, and by the time I made it back around (about a minute)there was a streak of black about to enter the stack. Swatted at it a couple times and realized there was no hope. Got the stacker out and within minutes the stack was engulfed. Strings melted and the flaming flakes were pouring off both sides. Luckily I had just finished the 200 bales of millet and had moved south in the same quarter to start this stack. Luckily the wind was blowing toward the road and there was bare dirt on the other side. Only about 36 bales and it was so tinder box dry and windy that within 5 hours we had it completely consumed, disked, and sprayed down without a bit of smoke in sight. I got the telehandler and tore it apart a few buckets at a time. What a day!

Attachments

·
Hay Master
1,569 Posts
Yea, that stinks. Glad nobody got hurt, & no more damage than that. I'll put my fire extinguisher back on my tractor before I go out to tedd in the mornin, I had to take it off the other day & haven't gotten it back on yet.

·
Super Moderator
15,815 Posts
You were very fortunate today Tim....it could have been so much worse...especially fortunate in having the bare dirt and road as a firebreak.

Regards, Mike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.