Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my customers has 30 acres of first year alfalfa planted last fall. Anyhow we did 3 cuttings already (every 30-35 days) and now on this month he left the water on for 2 full days and completely flooded it and it looks really dead and in some spots drying out. It's been about 45 days since the last cutting and idk what to do. Should we cut and spray with a certain product? It looks cooked.

·
Super Moderator
11,034 Posts
Not sure what advice to give you on this, all depends on the soil and the plant variety I suppose.

On one of my fields the idjit neighbors took out about a acre of woods on one corner for whatever reason. Changed how the water flows and it flooded the lowest corner of the alfalfa field. Had a ton of brush and cornstalks on it after the water went down. Went out and burned off what we could, raked the rest up and threw it on their fencerow. Cut bigger holes in the riser so hopefully it won't plug again and the water has somewhere to go. Was really thin on first cutting with bare spots where the corn stalks were, now it appears the alfalfa came back.

·
Full of questionable knowledge.
5,220 Posts
Spray? No he probably killed it. Especially since it was fairly new seeding. You might as well cut it and see what happens.

·
Registered
390 Posts
No plant dies of too much water, but they die because of the lack of oxygen in the root zone. I doubt 2 or 3 days without oxygen would kill the alfalfa. Let it dry out until it needs water again, re-water, and it might recover. Amazed that he would be so foolish with water considering California is in a big drought. Some towns are totally out of water.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I would cut it , last month we got 4 inches of rain and i had fully irrigated as well so probably 8-9 inches that 2 weeks ( its ment to be driest month of year )anyway lo spots in paddock were turning yellow or white so i cut when i could get back on ,week later looks good all spots seem ok

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'd go ahead and cut it. Nothing I know of to spray it with.

Whether it is dead or not, only time will tell. When we flooded alfalfa we killed a spot or two now and then but we also had some survive. However that which survived was damaged for the life of the stand. The best way to tell is by digging up a few roots and seeing if they are rotting. Also see if the nodulation has stopped or died.

Depending on the soil, the day-time temperatures, and the water movement during those 2 days the crop may or may not recover. A sandy soil with 75 degree days and moving water will probably survive. A heavy clayish soil with 95 degree days with stagnate water...the alfalfa is probably toast.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.