Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The season up here is still in the crapper . Haven’t moved a wheel in two weeks still 125 acres of first to go and water is laying in the fields.
A couple of us around me who sell a lot of hay but use barons are pouched because when we do get a window it’s 21/2 days at best. I gotta believe it’s going to get better but the jet stream is not changing.
So the thought now is to go to making round bales at a higher moisture, hammer the acid to them , let them sit outside to cure , hope they don’t heat or dust . Then unroll them and rebale into small squares.
So I’ve seen one video on the unrolling apparatus but have never seen one or know who makes them. The thought is a couple of us guys buy one together and share it. Share the costs etc. Used would be great but new could be an option. Can anyone tell me what these are called, manufacturers etc . Any experience with doing this ? Inquiring minds want to know.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I have researched this a fair amount and years ago even found a Ez-Unroller whole system for sale in Ohio on Craiglist. Here are my links:

I have also found Hustler brand on Craiglist from time to time. Just have not pulled the trigger yet. I am adding a word document if it works with information I got directly from Hustler in the spring of 2020.

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts
I rebaled some round bales on a far far far lesser scale than what you are talking about, BUT I believe you’ll likely find that cow hay in will equal cow hay out. If it will make higher quality that’s great, but tough bales will be a problem.

I rebaled some rounds a guy made and found it it was at higher moisture after the fact. The unroller wouldn’t pull the hay apart enough to make consistent flakes. Very ugly small squares of less than quality hay. Don’t want to discourage you but it’d look for a wrapper instead of an unroller.

Just my 2 cents. I hope your situation improves very quickly.

·
Registered
4,723 Posts
Ditto on higher moisture rd bales unrolled creating ugly sq bales. My neighbor unrolls dry rd bales every Winter utilizing a 3 pt bale unroller & sells sq baled hay to feed stores.

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
I agree that it sounds like a tall order to pull off, but there’s also one called a bale destroyer if you’re searching.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
We have rebaled quite a bit of hay. If the hay wasn't rolled in condition that would have been good for square baling, it will not unroll well and the square bale will not be uniform. Wish I had a better answer for you and the rest of us about that.

Have seen the T's E-Z set up and talked with the original manufacturers. I think it would work really well but was out of our price range. Our first unroller was similar to the Hustler. Our unrolled hay didn't feed well with it into the baler. We found a Dew-Eze Super Slicer II that works very well for us.

Be glad to answer questions of what has worked for us.

Shelia

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What kind of moisture are we talking about? I’m thinking 15-20 percent with acid in a round bale for rebaling . The bale baron we cant bale past 15-16 percent moisture or we will have problems.
I can and we do a lot of wrapped feed for us and other farms. It’s the horse clients are the problem. There is such a shortage of good dry first cut up here most will have to feed less then idea quality hay.
The market is going to be different up here a bit this year. Most dairy and beef guys will be alright because they got their first off alright and will have a great second cut. Guys that would usually buy the lesser quality stuff say they think they are alright for feed.
At least if all else goes bad I can sell big squares to the mushroom farms but they pay only @ 100 per ton.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
No experience with acid; others may be able to give recommendtions on that.

We only rebale as a backup plan. We have a lot of humidity here and 12-14 (on our moisture testers) is our goal. 1i6% is about tops and that has to be just some random readings.

When the rolled hay is stuck together the baler will just pull a long wad of hay and the small squares will have big ugly flakes. Besides the ugly bales, there may be hidden pockets of dust/mold. We have some cow hay customers that want small squares so we've rebaled some of that questionable rolled hay. Don't recommend that at all.

If you think your rolled hay with the acid will unroll well, rebaling has good possibilities.

Shelia

·
Registered
353 Posts
Chainless Hustlers aren't cheap and are a half arsed answer to properly rolling hay out as they are designed to be able to feed both round and big square bales. Truth is they do neither well. We have a pearce offsider (most round bale feeders are built locally) and it's very good. Matters not which way the bale is loaded as the spikes on the chains mean it will feed out both sides equally as good.

·
Registered
698 Posts
make silage bales if you are feeding them yourself. Rebaling is a PITA and not very profitable considering the time it takes. Why not just add acid to the squares as you bale them

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
To much dead in it to make decent wrapped hay. Tried that before and the horses just picked through it and wasted to much. I’m going to make all second cut feed for my horses to eat.
The problem is this one client is dead set on feeding first and will do only smalls. No large or round bales. She calling around to see what she can find somewhere else. Hate to lose the business that’s all. She going to have a hard time finding I think. We did four thousand yesterday running to balers so I feel a bit better today. 75 acres left of first.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts