Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
downtownjr
1,537 Posts
According to Purdue Agronomy Farm data set, 2012 is the driest spring-early summer & the driest year since 1988. It is also the warmest spring-early summer on record & the warmest year on record (so far).

2012 rainfall deficit is over 8″ in Lafayette, 9″ at the Agronomy Farm (according to State Climate Office) & 5″ at the Purdue Airport (according to NWS). Deficits remains around 12″ in parts of our northeast counties & around 10-11″ in scattered locations.

It was a weekend of extremely high evaporation, high fire danger, stiff southwest winds & heat with comfortable nights.

The above was on the Lafayette TV news site...Monday may see .10-.25 inches of rain; more possible if a T-Storm hits right...not looking good in my neck of the woods at all. So much for a good crop of soybeans/corn...the alfalfa/grass hay yields poor as well. 1988 was a horrible year here in Indiana.

Hope the rest of you are doing better. Be safe and take care.

·
Super Moderator
11,033 Posts
I'm dating myself here but 88' was the year I graduated high school and I don't think it's near that bad yet.

We might have caught more rain than the rest of the county, but we're not hurting much yet. I seen a few hilltops on our sand fields were curling up about 6 last night, but that's to be expected as North Liberty sand hilltops are nothing but beach sand waiting for a lake to be dug.

I did see some horrible looking corn down the road from us. Local BTO just had to chisel last fall even though it was too wet for it, then we had a bit of rain in mid APril and it must have made em all nervous as they worked it once with a soil finisher and must not have been happy as they then took a disc over it with a crumbler behind it then planted it sticky as well. That corn looks like crap. I don't know what they were thinking, but then they turned around and chiseled ground this spring that they had already chiseled last fall, then worked it into a powder before planting, that ain't looking so hot either.

WE rent a few hundred acre farm over in the next county we've no-tilled for over 10 years now, have never had a crop failure on it and in some years whether it may be on the dry side or excessively wet, that one is always guaranteed to be near one of the top yielders. Had 120 acres we could have rented right next to it but decided not to as the owners are confirmed pain in the *sses and just ain't worth dealing with. Some guy from the next county over paid them an obscene amount of rent for it, then undid 20 years of no till after they deep chiseled it and worked it into a powder before planting, that's one of the worst ones I've seen yet. A large percentage of that ground is also HEL and if we get a down pour the axle breaking gully's will be back for sure. Kinda hope to see em loose his shorts on that one.

·
downtownjr
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Know about the sand hills...we farmed near Burnettsville on the White/Cass line road when I was a kid. Talk about sandy, always two weeks from a drought. That was before no-till and irrigation helped that area.

Glad you are seeeing a bit more rain. Around Logansport has been horrible, proably in the minus 10 inch range. I no-tilled all my soybeans, so maybe I can keep some moisture locked in compared to those that worked it up. Some guys just like driving that big stuff up and downt he road I think.

Hope we hit one of the storms right today/tonight.for at least an inch, that would improve my mood and blood pressure.

·
Hay Master
2,195 Posts
Way behind in SW IN also. Do not know the exact numbers, but I have had 0.4" since May 1 and about 4" in April. Feb and March were very dry also. Sand hills here are turning brown if not already dead. Clay ground is varying degrees of stress depending on tillage practices and fertility. Some looks real good in afternoons yet but a lot of it has been rolled tight the last few days. Everything is V8 stage or farther so ear size is already being impacted and pollination is starting now and will run for the next 3 weeks. It is do or die time now for the corn crop here. No rain from now on will shrink the crop rapidly.

·
Super Moderator
11,033 Posts
Was out spreading the last of the fertilizer and took a few back roads I haven't been down in a month, one thing that is certainly standing out now are all the spots that have been mudded in, mudded out or both for the last 4-5 years.

·
downtownjr
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is raining west of Indy...been gray for two hours and rain in finally falling...hope it rains awhile...and most importantly raining just north of Logansport, my crops need a drink.

Haybaler, I knew it was tough in some parts to the south...very sparadic rain...feel like when I lived in Texas during my Air Force days. It would rain down the road and miss us all the time in San Angelo.

Take care and be safe everybody

·
Hay Master
2,195 Posts
Well our 60%new chance this week resulted in a light shower. No dust for at least 2 hours. Would not have ruined cut hay if there was any hay to cut.

·
downtownjr
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rain near Indy lasted 15 minutes...now nothing...radar shows rain heading toward my fields has dried up...probably not see anything up there. I am not feeling well about my crops.

Folks in FL have it up to their neck and we got nothing...crazy what weather can do.

·
Super Moderator
11,033 Posts
Nothing here either except for about three drops as I was pressure washing the fertilizer spreader.

Zero chance of anymore for nine days. Wish I had some second cut ready to mow. Only bright side is up here only supposed to be in the mid 70's most of the week.

·
Lazy J Farms Feed and Hay
198 Posts
We have gotten nothing from the last to rain events. We are dry, but thanfully we have not had too much heat yet. Second cutting is very short, but there is nothing we can do about it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.