Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon everyone!

I have a really nice condition super 1048 that I have been considering an engine swap/re-power. The 361 gasser and 4 speed tranny could probably use some updating.. Everything runs good and it stacks great but, it easily overheats and is just a dog to operate. I am considering adding a red dot AC unit to the top of the cab to help my attitude when 90-100 degrees outside! I worry that adding a compressor to the already taxed underpowered engine is just asking for greater troubles.. I have heard of swapping engines and wonder if this may not be the answer for me. What can I squeeze under the 2nd table without to much difficulty? I'd love an Allison Auto to match up as well.. Thanks for any input!!

·
Registered
5,589 Posts
I’ve seen a 5.9 Cummins, a 7.3 powerstroke (which I personally would not do because of the wiring that goes with it), and a dt360 with an Allison. We did the 360 here in a 1049.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1048/1049 should be about identical as far as chassis goes.. how do you like the dt360/allison combo? how big of job was it stuffing that engine under the table? was it worth it? I put up maybe 20-30k bales/yr. and having a hard time considering a 1068. seems like they come with a pretty good price tag for what usually looks like a well used machine. Was kinda hoping to invest 7-10k in my machine and make it last for a good while to come..

·
176 Posts
I started to swap a Dodge/Cummins 5.9 and an Allison 545 into a Super 1049. I have a DTA360 in a dump truck and IIRC it was a little bigger than the 5.9, but don't quote me on that. I mocked it up such that the oil pan was a little higher than the front axle, and at that height the second table would clear the top of the engine if I made a custom pipe to go from the turbo to the intake (no aftercooler). Plan was to use a Cummins industrial front engine mount yoke and use part of the frame's existing front engine mount. Rear bellhousing mounts would have to be made from scratch. I would have had to cut away part of one of the crossmembers to clear the transmission. Never quite figured out how to mount the hydraulic pump, but I was going to use the Dodge power steering pump (it is rated similarly to the priority valve in the original hydraulic pump) and buy a new pump for the hydraulics. My main concern was how slow it would go, as the Allison's first gear is quite a bit faster than the NP435 in the 1048/1049. To try and counteract that I planned to get a higher flow hydraulic pump so I could hopefully run the engine slower to go slower, but still have the hydraulic flow I needed. I don't believe 8350HiTech had any speed issues with his, so maybe I was overly concerned. After a few years of never getting enough time to work on it, I finally decided this spring to rebuild the 361 and go back to original. Of course, the engine is still sitting in pieces back from the machine shop. I think a 6.9/7.3 IHC IDI diesel would be the easiest if you can find one already mated to an Allison.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for that.. I may be biting off more that i will want to chew, that's a real concern I suppose.. Maybe I should just be happy with what I have. Although, I think I will definitely pursue adding a hydraulic rolling rack, that's probably the one real upgrade that will pay dividends, partial loads can be somewhat challenging..

·
176 Posts
Wow - I think adding a hydraulic rolling rack would be quite a challenge.

It wasn't that hard to talk myself out of the idea eventually. If it was a 1069, a repower would be much easier since the engine is more accessible, and Palmer even sells some pieces that they use in their conversions. Plus, the 1048/1049 is already heavy enough on the front axle, so more weight would make it get stuck that much more.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah, it spins the tires pretty easy now for sure.. Back to the rolling rack, I don't think it's gonna be a big deal at all.. Find a cylinder from a 1068/69, tap into the hydro system somewhere,(thinking first table line), add a pressure relief valve and a electric solenoid valve with a toggle in the cab. I already have the newer version of rolling rack, same as the 68/69's.. I have heard of guys that have done it very successfully.

·
176 Posts
I wondered where you would easily get the hydraulic flow from, but sounds like you have a plan for that and the cylinder. I'd be interested to see how it comes out.

·
Registered
5,589 Posts
1048/1049 should be about identical as far as chassis goes.. how do you like the dt360/allison combo? how big of job was it stuffing that engine under the table? was it worth it? I put up maybe 20-30k bales/yr. and having a hard time considering a 1068. seems like they come with a pretty good price tag for what usually looks like a well used machine. Was kinda hoping to invest 7-10k in my machine and make it last for a good while to come..
I unfortunately can only answer a few of these questions, mainly how it fits. This machine is one of those projects that can't seem to get off of the ground. Even though it is done (aside from also wanting to go the hyd rolling rack) switching over from the thrower and wagons seems oddly difficult to pull the trigger. Anyway, it fit reasonably well. We had to modify the alternator mount and use a smaller alternator (no biggie, the bus alt was HUGE), move the brake booster from inside the frame to outside, alter a coolant elbow on top of the engine (and still beat a small dent in the underside of the table for it to clear), and alter the trans crossmember. We ran the original hydraulic pump off of a jack shaft but I think it will probably get a bigger one someday, as long as lfc remembers what size it takes. More later...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.