Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

I have been reading everything I can, mainly posts by mike10 about netwrap issues. I just can't find the solution. We cannot get the baler to engage the netwrap process. We have baled over 100 bales with no issues and then out of nowhere it will not wrap. Prior to this we would get an error alarm (alarming with the actuator). We would clear it, hold the wrap button down, it would wrap, and then we continued on. Now, we clear the error and it will not engage the wrap. We have re-calibrated the actuator. It will go to the home range at 188 and then extend to about 35. So, the duckbill is fully engaged. After re-calibrating, I retract until it is fully retracted. I turn the operators panel off and back on. It will still not go through a wrap cycle. The actuator was replaced last year and it is not the issue because it obviously will fully retract and extend.

I downloaded the BR Baler Net Actuator Stalling Document. But, I don't think it is stalling? Is there a sensor that I am missing? I just don't know what to do. I have about 20 bales that is going to get rained on tomorrow. We did get most of our hay up before this started happening. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
147 Posts
is there enough (any) net tail protruding on the duck bill? if net has snapped back, it is possible there is none for the bale to grab and pull in. if you keep loosing the tail, the issue is either the baffle gap or the net brake.

·
2,558 Posts
When the error message is displayed a triangle should be flashing, wrap, tailgate, or actuator. If the actuator triangle is flashing the actuator is stalling. If the wrap triangle is flashing the there was a problem with the net, if the tailgate triangle is flashing the tailgate is not latched and will not automatically wrap.

A common problem I run into when a baler will not automatically wrap is someone pushed the auto/manual button putting the system in manual. The system will not automatically wrap even when using the wrap button. However, there is no error message displayed.

Do you manuualy extend the retract the actuator to wrap the bale so you can get the hay baled?

Be sure you are going to the battery for power and your connections are good.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The triangle is flashing actuator. One thing we noticed was the duckbill was off of the roller, notch, or whatever it is called? That's what moves the duckbill and fits it into place when retracted or extended. We got that notch back in the groove of the duckbill. That allowed us to fully extend and retract the actuator.

We did attempt to put in manual mode and manually retract/extend the actuator. But, still could not get it to wrap. In fact, we actually got off the tractor fed the net wrap through to get it to wrap and then cut the wrap with a knife when ejecting it. Makes an ugly bale. But, at least got it off the ground.

Connection is good and wired directly to the battery.

·
2,558 Posts
Check the link that goes to the knife which has the roller which rides in the duckbill slot. If they are bent or bowed they need to be straightened. When the duckbill is in the home position there should be clearance between the roller and the top of the slot. Loosen the two bolts holding the link together to adjust this clearance.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Is the cam like mine was before I modified it (thanks' to Mike10, he even posted pictures of my 'before' modification)? Mine would error out with no explanation, then work fine sometimes, but seem to get worse with time. :angry:

Hopefully, I'm not 'jinxing' myself, but since the modification. :) :) :) :)

Larry

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I "think" we have narrowed it down to losing tail of the net wrap. The net brake seems ok. So, it must be the baffle gap. Do you have any steps on adjusting the baffle gap? Would there still be an error message with the actuator if there was too much of a baffle gap?

·
2,558 Posts
The gap would not cause an actuator error. If the net does not start the triangle under the wrap title on the screen would flash with the error message.

To adjust the gap, remove the baffle and clead the dirt of the baffle and also scapre the dirt from the angle the baffle was bolted to. install the baffle. On the 5ft wide balers there are 5 bolts and I can not remember how may bolts are on the 4 ft wide balers. I leave the center bolt for last. I start at the second from the end and tighten the bolt until the baffle contacts the duckbill on that side. I then move to the other side and tighten the second bolt from the end until the baffle contacts the duckbill on that side. I then tighten the end bolts but stop before the baffle contacts the duckbill. You want a slight gap between the baffle and duckbill on both ends. I then tighten the center bolt to take up the slack in the bolt. Check for gaps between the baffle and duckbill and adjust the center three bolts as required to remove the gap.

After adjusting I like to place my hand in the center of the baffle and press downward. I like to see the whole baffle move down. You can make the baffle tighter, but if you find the net is not spreading to the ends of the bale, back off on some of the pressure.

Back to the actuator error. If there is an error present then you should see part of the electric cylinder extended. Follow the information on my pinned thread on actuator stalling.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks Mike...now the next question is I was told to turn the nut counterclockwise to apply more pressure....I am not referring to the nut towards the front of the baler but talking about the second one.
Is this correct? Thanks!

·
2,558 Posts
Whatever it takes to stretch the spring. Why do you want to increase the braking force? As long as there is drag on the brake disc, with an empty net tube in place, the net should spread to the edge of the bale when there is net in place. To much tension can lead to other problems.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi, Maybe same problem I had last fall balling hay and fodder. Found out my battery voltage was down in the 10-11 volt range. Tractor had started ok, longer I baled,baler starting acting up. I kept getting error messages. I would have to play with the console and could wrap manually, but had to kick PTO out to stop wrapping. Found alternator wire came off, and battery was not fully charged. Charged battery overnight, fixed the wire. Baler worked like it should.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts