Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Working on a new to me 315. Replaced the bottom middle hay dog as the one that was in it was broken. Hooked everything up and ran some hay through it to make sure everything was ready. Big bang after I put a little hay through it. Made a little noise here and there as I fed hay. Everything turns over fine and smooth by hand. Tied 3 bales perfectly. Shut it down and cleaned it out. Found the new hay dog broken again. That must have been the loud bang. Seems like the hay dog is travelling up into the plunger too far and is catching the plunger face on the return stroke. Anyone seen this? No up and down movement to plunger, but seems like some side to side movement. Is there a way to adjust without removing the plunger? The plunger isn't moving over far enough to contact the knife, but does have some movement away from the knife. I think this may be where some of the noise is coming from when feeding hay. I broke open a couple of last year's bales, so the compressed flakes were a little tighter than normal fresh hay.

·
Registered
4,723 Posts
Look for an obstructed/damaged slot in area on face of PH where broken hay dog is located. How much side to side movement does PH have?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Look for an obstructed/damaged slot in area on face of PH where broken hay dog is located. How much side to side movement does PH have?
Checked the slot in the plunger, nothing in the way. There is a mark on the back face of the hay dog where you can see where the plunger hit it. I'm thinking of putting a block at the pivot point so the hay dog can't go into the chamber as far. It's only about 1/4" too far, but enough to hit the top of the slot.
Plunger has about 1/4" side to side movement, maybe 3/8" at most.

·
2,554 Posts
As 8350 noted, there should be rubber or plastic stops to prevent the haydogs from contacting the plunger. You probably noticed the 5/16" bolt crosswise under the haydog when you installed the new haydog. A triangular stop block is mounted at that location with the 5/16" bolt. Do all the haydogs because they are all in the same shape probably. The top right haydog may not have one because a different style haydog may be there.

If the haydog mounts are damaged from continuous hits from the haydogs, grind the flared metal away and if possible weld up the notches caused by the haydog stikes. This will help keep the haydogs from hitting the plunger in the future if the stop blocks fail.

·
2,554 Posts
While we are on the subject of hay dog stops, If you have a 310 or 311 baler do not use the baler until you check those stops on the top of the plunger. Severe damage can occur to the plunger if the haydogs are allowed to contact the plunger over an extended period of time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts