Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The right side twine knotter on my NH275 baler misses a bale every so often. The left left side knotter is almost bulletproof. I recently noticed the knife arm on the left (good) side has just a little play in it, but the right side knotter has much more play in it compared to the left. Could this be the source of the right side not tying as consistently as the left?. I did break down for $20 to buy a new roller for the right side knife arm but have not installed it yet. I am thinking the old roller may be worn and a new roller may eliminate some play. If this does not help (and a knife arm is not supposed to have a lot of play in it) what else can I look at to reduce play?

·
Registered
497 Posts
I tap mine with a hammer until it bends and stays where there's little to no play anymore. In the owners manual it tells you most everything you'll ever need to keep these balers going.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Does it have play on the knotter cam or is it loose where it is pinned to the knotter frame?
I’m working through a similar issue on my 66 baler. I have two new knife arms to install soon.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good question. First , when I say 'play" I mean that you can move the knife arm easily from left to right. Id say the good left knotter can be moved perhaps 3/8 inch. The right poor side would be twice that roughly. I think its on the cam as well as the pivot where its pinned on the frame. So both places to answer your question.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Following along here to see what responses you get. I’ve asked a few guys I know that are more experienced (don’t want to say old!) and they didn’t really answer the question to my satisfaction. I’ll report back to this thread after replacing my knife arms with before and after amounts of play.

·
267 Posts
The right side twine knotter on my NH275 baler misses a bale every so often. The left left side knotter is almost bulletproof. I recently noticed the knife arm on the left (good) side has just a little play in it, but the right side knotter has much more play in it compared to the left. Could this be the source of the right side not tying as consistently as the left?. I did break down for $20 to buy a new roller for the right side knife arm but have not installed it yet. I am thinking the old roller may be worn and a new roller may eliminate some play. If this does not help (and a knife arm is not supposed to have a lot of play in it) what else can I look at to reduce play?
I dont worry too much about the slack because when the knife arm moves it self aligns with the billhook or replace the frame and the wiper arn or get a machine shop to bore the frame out and put a bushing in it or cheaper fix is to shim it up with a coke can

·
Registered
Agromaster DM2555, IHI 2060 square baler, Kubota L3200
5 Posts
I'm interested in this as well, because from what I can tell my little IHI Japp-O square baler uses the same knotters as NH. And I'm having the exact same issue. Right side misses and balls up twine

·
Registered
16 Posts
I think that twine tangling on the bill hooks is usually caused by the knife arm being out of adjustment and not sweeping the twine off the bill hook. It can be adjusted with a heavy hammer or adjustable wrench on it to bend it over tighter to the bill hook.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Good question. First , when I say 'play" I mean that you can move the knife arm easily from left to right. Id say the good left knotter can be moved perhaps 3/8 inch. The right poor side would be twice that roughly. I think its on the cam as well as the pivot where its pinned on the frame. So both places to answer your question.
I replaced both of my knife arms and both bill hooks today. The new knife arms do have some play both left to right and a just little loose in the knotter frame. There isn’t as much play as before with the old ones. By comparing old and new side by side the roller for the knotter cams were noticeably worn smaller than the new ones which would explain why there is extra play side to side. I haven’t tied any bales yet, just tripped the knotters and turned over by hand. Hope to do some second cutting hay this week if weather cooperates. Fingers crossed this solves my tying issues.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts