Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My New Holland 2450 header slowly stopped while cutting hay. After a few hours it started working again for about 25 feet then quit again It acts like it is not getting enough hydraulic pressure. Fluid level is good and rest of machine is working. Any ideas?

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Welcome CT82729,

Hold on someone will chime in with a better answer than mine of 'jacking up the radiator cap and putting a new machine underneath'. :D

Larry

·
Registered
256 Posts
Most likely the orbit motor. How many hours on it?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Several points to look at first. First check your charging system are you reading above 12v while everything is on and working. If you fall below 12V your hydraulic solenoid will drop and it will shut off the header motors. If your above 12V while everything is on move on to hydraulics. Is there enough fluid. In the tool box behind the cab on the 2450 upper right hand corner should be a clear line that you can check the level on. That's full let's move on. When's the last time you changed hydraulic filters? That's always a good idea. Still doing it let's move on to the sickle drive. On the right hand side of the header look at the main drive belt that runs everything. Make sure there's alot of tension on it. Make sure it is not burned or shiney. After awhile alot of dust gets caked on and it slips especially in thick hay and grasses. That's usually the main symptom it seems like its surging and losing speed. On the two drive pulleys the steel ones take a dremel with a stone and rough up the v belt groove so it gets more traction. On the belt avoid using belt dressing it just makes more caked up debris. Take a wire brush and scrub off the debris on the v belt and tighten it up. Once you have gone through these steps it should work if it dont then you can say it's either your hydraulic pump or header motor either one is $1600 dollars. My 2450 was acting up stopping in thin hay as well as in thick hay slowing then speeding up turns out the belt was burnt and fully adjusted $90 for new drive belt.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts