Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been noticing that the forum gets quite a few 'new members' everyday (sometimes a couple, sometimes many) but most all never post anything....

I don't understand why people go through the bother of signing up and never contribute anything to the community.

You can read the entire forum except for the boiler room and online chat without ever registering, in as much as this is a publically viewed forum.

If it was my forum, to conserve rack space and have faster load times, I'd purge any posters that are inacrive for over a year.

Just my opinion but I find it interesting that so many people sign up and of them, very, very few ever post/contribute to the forum community...

Reactions: IHCman

·
Registered
5,591 Posts
I dont know if it is still like this but I first signed on because I could not search for anything till I was a member.
Btw, you're better off googling what you want and adding "haytalk" as a search term that you are using the search feature here. It's somewhere between archaic and embarrassing.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
You were inactive over a year at one point.....I know because I checked.

Regards, Mike
When you have a heart attack, things slow down for a while...... Never got back to 'warp speed' but then I'm old too. I'm striving to completely automate forage harvesting. Coming pretty close so long as I have a reliable crew to pick up and load the barn with idiot cubes and that has been no issue for a few years now. Rounds are a no brainer, thats all me, from my air conditioned tractor seat.

The reason I mentioned it in the first place was I was curious. If I do a private message to someone, when I click 'New Content', the site shows me all the new members, not new content. I need to wait a moment, click the content again and then it shows the threads.

Could be a glitch in my browser, I have no idea. I'm not computer literate. I have an IT I pay for that.

·
Apprentice Forage Grower
5,228 Posts
I think after I joined I may have had a year or more of inactivity.

Much has changed for me since then. Starting from 0, I have learned quite a bit on this site from the generous members sharing their knowledge.

I take that back. As a youngster, my brother and I raked and baled lawn mower clippings with our toy tractors and tonka trucks. No cabs back then either. My brother took a hammer to them to make them look more like the ones the neighbors had.

·
They say you’re a man of vision....
3,049 Posts
I was virtually inactive for almost a year after I signed up. Takes a while to work up the courage to post something as there are a few people on here who would jump at the chance to knock a newbie down. And I've raised hay for 22 years for the farm and myself to sell. Now I pretty much don't care.... There are too many good people on here that help lots of young'uns.

·
Super Moderator
15,819 Posts
Takes a while to work up the courage to post something as there are a few people on here who would jump at the chance to knock a newbie down. There are too many good people on here that help lots of young'uns.
Your right about that stack and I also can remember to the day when I first stumbled on haytalk....there were one or two then that were more concerned with looking very smart than really helping folks....they have since dropped out....but have been replaced by one or two more that think they are smarter than the rest....... Almost invariably they do not have a pot to pee in unless it has been given to them.

Regards, Mike

·
Registered
529 Posts
When you have a heart attack, things slow down for a while...... Never got back to 'warp speed' but then I'm old too. I'm striving to completely automate forage harvesting. Coming pretty close so long as I have a reliable crew to pick up and load the barn with idiot cubes and that has been no issue for a few years now. Rounds are a no brainer, thats all me, from my air conditioned tractor seat.

The reason I mentioned it in the first place was I was curious. If I do a private message to someone, when I click 'New Content', the site shows me all the new members, not new content. I need to wait a moment, click the content again and then it shows the threads.

Could be a glitch in my browser, I have no idea. I'm not computer literate. I have an IT I pay for that.
Should be a box on the left side of the new content page. Select forums for content. Will take you out of members section.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Btw, you're better off googling what you want and adding "haytalk" as a search term that you are using the search feature here. It's somewhere between archaic and embarrassing.
LOL that's true of every forum I'm on...

On a Rocketry forum, just merely SUGGESTING that "newbs" actually search for something is offensive to some folks, because the search function is SO totally worthless... Thing is, newbs come in and ask the SAME QUESTIONS that were just discussed a week or two before and the thread petered out... just gets annoying answering the same questions over and over again, especially when the answers are lengthy and technical and often helps to post pictures to demonstrate...

Most folks who suggest a search recommend "Google it with the forum name as part of the search term, and avoid the forum search function..."

Later! OL JR :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.