21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
I didn't read all the responses but my first thoughts on the op

400 acres of hay working part time seems outsized

Equipment mentioned seems to be barely able to perform the job

No mention of hauling or storage or product sales and marketing

The thought is good ...the details can be a issue so just some things to keep in mind...not at all being negative but a start small work up approach might be wise

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I didn't read all the responses but my first thoughts on the op

400 acres of hay working part time seems outsized

Equipment mentioned seems to be barely able to perform the job

No mention of hauling or storage or product sales and marketing

The thought is good ...the details can be a issue so just some things to keep in mind...not at all being negative but a start small work up approach might be wise
Tyazzman, very wise response, I’m finding out just how hard this stuff is, it sounded good at first, but dang, round or square, got folks telling to do small square bales for mulch hay, and got lots of guys wanting to buy it, so I’m just as confused as I started, my just buy me a new bush hog and cut the 24 acres my son has and let that get the thrill out ever couple months! lol

·
Registered
285 Posts
Not trying to argue but in my particular situation mulch pays way more than feed grade. For example I have to fertilize, lime, and spray herbicide and pesticides then pray for a perfect weather window to make some $7 hay that I might make in June then have to store till winter to sell. Or I can wait until a good heavy frost make about 40 squares to the acre to be sold that day from that field for $6 each all while getting paid $30 per acre to mow his CRP land. And being that I usually do around 15000 bales or so of mulch hay and straw a year with no fertilizer to buy it works good for me. Point is every situation is different.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I guess if you have a $6 per bale mulch market. When I search FB marketplace and Craigslist within 200 miles of my location I see mulch sm sq bales anywhere from .50 cents to $1.50.

Also there are tons of people out there making feed quality hay with no fertilizer, no lime, no herbicide, and no pesticides.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I hear you man, one thing I learned from reading this forum is we are all alike but all have different situations to deal with. Around here any weeds or no fertilizer and you won't sell it for feed. Simply to much hay on the market. But since there's no square balers around but me all the contractors call me before they buy feed grade of tractor supply.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts