Hay & Forage Forum banner

New to Haying - Need Advice

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  msr976 
#1 ·
I recently purchased some property and has about 52 acres of open hay field. I put fertilizer and potash on the 52 acres after my first cut. The timing couldn't have been better, since it rained the next day. I currently have coastal bermuda and it looks beautiful right now. I don't think we are going to get anymore rain and I'm afraid the heat may hurt the grass. How long can coastal handle 100 degree weather before I start to have problems? I have a guy that is going to cut and bale the hay sometime late next week. Any recommendations or advice?

#4 ·
I'm selling the hay and the last cutting was about a month ago. I know it can take some heat, but I just wanted to be sure about this since I put a good amount of money on the fertilizer. I got it tested and was told it was 19% protein (test results came back today). It sounds pretty good to me. Not trying to advertise, but here is what I have http://www.whitneytxhay.com. The grass is probably about 2 feet tall by now.

#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
Don't want you to think that heat will not burn it up, but it's unlikely if the field is established.....them roots is deep. On a new planting, which I'm sure this is not, they can burn up....on a field that has seen no potash in years and routinely cut for hay, they can burn up....but generally speaking, you'll be fine. Don't expect that 19% to be there when all is said and done.....good luck and welcome to haytalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.