Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at new 1 ton pickups for the ranch. I've had good luck with my Ford's, Chevy's, and Dodge's but my favorites have been the Cummin's Dodge because of the engine mostly. The Cummins have been bullet proof with goops of power and good mileage. Haven't had any with all the smog stuff, so don't know much about the 2014's. Going to look at a Dodge 3500 Cummins dually tomorrow with six speed auto etc. Several of my hay customers have new Dodge's that I've been checking out. They all had great things to say about them. Anybody having any problems with these new models? I'm keeping my old 24 valve Dodge as my wife won't let me trade it in, seems she has a lot of good memories with that truck as we also pulled our fifth wheel RV with it. Looking forward to pulling the RV with the new truck with an exhaust brake, bigger disc brakes all around, and all that torque. With the economy and country going down the tubes, figured I'd better get some of those bucket list items done while the price of diesel is below $10 a gallon and we can still carry/conceal. LOL

·
Hay Master (Supposedly)
3,918 Posts
The chatter I hear from turbodieselregister.com would make it sound as though the '14 with its DEF emission system would be a good choice. The 6.7L Cummins with the cooled EGR emission system just hasn't had as good a track record as the 5.9L. Even deleting the emision system doesn't solve all the problems.

·
756 Posts
I have an 08 with the 6.7, I deleted the emissions with 50k on it, wish it did it the day I bought the truck it ran much better. But it was a simpler emissions system. I have a 6sp manual, the exhaust brake is great. But I have to say I prefer my brother's 05 and father's 07 with the later 24v High output 5.9s.

·
Full of questionable knowledge.
5,220 Posts
I looked at a Ram chassis cab a couple years ago and was pretty impressed with them. Plus if you don't need all the fancy stuff and would like a flat bed they are considerably cheaper then the fancy kind. I looked at a 4500. I was going to use it to haul hay, but I'm glad I didn't buy it because I don't haul all that much to merit the price. I bought a C6500 GMC for much much less that does what I need.

·
Hay Master
1,498 Posts
I have been told by a very good dodge person that the standard trans dont last as long as the automatic trans. Didnt make sense to me but he specializes in dodge transmissions so who am I to argue. He fixes more of them in a week then ive ever drove. Hope that helps.

·
Hay Hoser
1,013 Posts
I have a new 2013, 5500 chassis cab auto with a 9' flat bed on it. I love this truck!! They seem to have made some really good improvements to the front suspension and steering. I traded in a 98 - 3500 auto. The 98 had the shearing / front suspension issues that drove me nuts, the transition on the 98 was also junk.

For comparison I also have dodge 2004 3500. That truck is starting to give me issues at only 100k on it. Same issues with front suspension and steering. My Chevy 2011 2500 has been a good truck as well, but I like the exhaust brake better on the dodge, as well I'm not getting as good mileage out of the Chevy.

In short, Go for the dodge!

·
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I already have a 24 valve 5.9 cummins Dodge2500 and love it. However, you are correct that the steering tends to wander, and the rear singles have drum brakes and not the big disc brakes with the exhaust brakes. I listened to some youtube comparison's between 1 ton pickups and they all favor the Dodges. My friend has a new Ford diesel same size as Ram 3500 and it is very nice with a lot of good interior features but I don't trust Ford diesels. I hauled about 250,000 pounds of equipment from Georgia to Texas with three trucks, my Dodge, Chevy dually and a Ford. Dodge got a lot better mileage and had more grunt on the hills. My older Dodge is lacking on a fancy interior like the Fords but the new Dodge packages are pretty impressive. Take a look under the hood of a new big Ford with a diesel...can't see anything to work on.

·
“Not a real farmer” farmer
10,991 Posts
I dont know how true it is but im told ford is going to be putting cummins in their trucks in '15
That rumor has been floating around for 30 years.

If Ford did, Dodge would be out of diesel trucks in 1 year.

IMO, VERY few Dodge diesel guys buy a Dodge truck because of the truck body, chassis, etc. They buy the truck because of the in line 6cyl CUMMINS engine.

Ford makes a nicer truck and chassis than Dodge, but their engines leave something to be desired.

Put a 6.7L Cummins in a Ford and Dodge diesel truck sales would be anemic.

·
Hay Master
1,498 Posts
It shows how stupid ford is though. They own Cummins and leased it to dodge for 50 years. So near as I figure they got another 25 to wait. I didnt really believe it just wondered if others heard the same.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Always a ford owns cummins guy in the crowd.

They don't.

I think dodge makes a better truck than ford. Buy a ram Laramie and a ford whatever. Ram is more refined. Looks like you got what you paid for. Ford seems cheap with the interior.

And you don't have to take the cab off to work on it.

1 - 20 of 129 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.