Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
image_zpsiszxfnli.jpeg

Ledger plate are shot on this old mower. I want to mow down cover crops. I've tried drilling out rivots on the old spare rock guards. But I can't seem get it without drilling off center making egg shaped hole. They will problem and come loose I think .
How is the best way to do these ? Is there fixture possible? That I need , please post picture , like say I'm a first timer at this , thank you happ Father's Day

·
2,628 Posts
This is the tool I have used in the past. The guard lays in the deep groove and is held by the pins. Take a heavy punch ground down at the end so the tip will fit in the ledger plate hole. Place the tip of the punch over the rivet and drive the rivet head through the ledger plate. Once the rivet is driven through the ledger plate it will also be partly driven from the guard making it easier to drive the the rivet the rest of the way out of the guard by using a regular punch the same diameter of the rivet.

To rivet the new ledger plate on the guard, place the ledger plate in place on the guard and install the rivet. Turn the guard upside down so the rivet head is over one of the pins and peen the other end of the rivet. The idea is to drive as much of the rivet back up into the hoie in the guard as possible. This works best if the tool in on an anvil or some other surface which will not bounce when hitting the rivet.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts