Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My net wrap is not working correctly. When it comes time for the net wrap to go onto the bale it only puts very little on and the duckbill retracts and shows an wrapping error,I then have to apply more net wrap manually before ejecting the bale. I have my net wrap set on 3.50 wraps in auto but it’s not applying enough to keep the bale together. On yesterday I went into calibration and looked at what the duckbill potentiometer was reading and it was on 6.8 out, and 1.4 inserted. I tried to calibrate the duckbill but it seem to didn’t work, so I replaced the potentiometer and now when my duckbill goes in. i can’t get it to retract,I have to take the pin out of the actuator motor in order to get the duckbill out. With the actuator motor in hand I can take the monitor and stroke the actuator and it sounds find and works good to me.

·
2,747 Posts
As I mentioned to you in our PM conversation, the net application on utility balers is a timed application of net. After the utility baler system starts the wrapping operation the rest of the actions is controlled by how much time has elapsed.

After thinking some more on your situation the only other thing that can cause your problem is if the duckbill is not stopping at the precut position. With the tractor off, and with you on the right side of the baler to watch the duckbill and clear of the wrapping components,, have someone push the wrap button until the alarm sounds so a wrap cycle is started. The system should go through the three motions of inseting the duckbill, retracting the duckbill to the precut position and then fully retracting the duckbill after a certain amount of time in the precut position.

Things to look for, First when the duckbill cocks the knife the linkage should go over center at the bottom. If the linkage does not go over center, then the knife might contact the net early. The second thing to look for is that the duckbill does stop at a precut position before the knife cuts the net. If the vertical link that cocks the knife is not adjusted correctly, it is possible the knife is being tripped early. The knife should trip at about the same time the actuator is fully retracted.

·
Hay Master (Supposedly)
3,885 Posts
mike10 — just curious — does the Utility 450 net system mostly resemble the system used on the BRs?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As I mentioned to you in our PM conversation, the net application on utility balers is a timed application of net. After the utility baler system starts the wrapping operation the rest of the actions is controlled by how much time has elapsed.

After thinking some more on your situation the only other thing that can cause your problem is if the duckbill is not stopping at the precut position. With the tractor off, and with you on the right side of the baler to watch the duckbill and clear of the wrapping components,, have someone push the wrap button until the alarm sounds so a wrap cycle is started. The system should go through the three motions of inseting the duckbill, retracting the duckbill to the precut position and then fully retracting the duckbill after a certain amount of time in the precut position.

Things to look for, First when the duckbill cocks the knife the linkage should go over center at the bottom. If the linkage does not go over center, then the knife might contact the net early. The second thing to look for is that the duckbill does stop at a precut position before the knife cuts the net. If the vertical link that cocks the knife is not adjusted correctly, it is possible the knife is being tripped early. The knife should trip at about the same time the actuator is fully retracted.
Hey Mike that’s another thing, when I press start wrap when I’m troubleshooting it just beeps but not happens or try’s to. I did see a clip on YouTube where a guy ran a cycle like you mentioned by just hitting the Start wrap button.

·
2,747 Posts
Be sure you are in auto mode. Press and hold the wrap button until you get a longer tone. Usually hold about 2 seconds. Once the tone sounds release the wrap button. A simple press and release will not start the cycle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I think I’m on to something. When I loosen the duckbill stop bolt the actuator doesn’t get stuck. Once I think I have found a sweet spot on the stop bolt and tighten it up the actuator gets stuck in, I can unloosed the stop bolt and the actuator will retract find. It seems this bolt may be my problem but find the happy/sweet spot seems in possible.
Textile Pink Red Magenta Metal

·
2,747 Posts
Slide the bolt up in the slot, extend the duckbill and calibrate at that point. Retract the duckbill and finish the calibration. Now move the bolt back to where it was. Using the wrap button, run it through a cycle. By manually extending the duckbill you run the risk of forcing the duckbill too far. By calibrating an earlier stop point, the controller should cut the power to the actuator before the duckbill hits the stop. I do this on the BR balers where I continue to have the problem after calibrating. My earlier instructions were not quite right since I did not remember the stop bolt was different on the utility baler.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts