Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Hay Master (Supposedly)
3,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question about how they function— when the tension cylinders are being extended during bale formation, are the springs always at coil bind? Wondering if these should not be cranked so tight so the during bale wrap there is more spring travel to maintain tension pressure as the bale compresses a little.
Wood Gas Font Building Metal

·
2,656 Posts
I see what you are getting at, but that little spring is not going to do much for maintaining pressure on the bale especially during the short wrap cycle. I figured the spring was to allow for movement as the serpentine arm rotated which changes the angle of the cylinder. I might have to dig deeper.

·
Hay Master (Supposedly)
3,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What happens is in certain crops and certain crop conditions the bale shrinks during wrapping (3.25 wraps so there is a bit of time factor there); pressure can drop to zero or near zero by that time and then the belts begin to chirp a little before the door opens. Can’t really increase the chamber pressure to reduce the shrink as then the net can get over stressed and we start to see a few bursts. I’m not tolerant of that at all.

·
2,656 Posts
I say give it a try. I can not see any harm in doing that except the core diameter will increase slightly before the full tension is applied.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts