Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This will be my first year harvesting my own hay. I have some questions about the H7450 float. I have read the manual several times and looked online. So, the springs have different amounts of thread showing. One side feels heavier than the other, and when you raise it, one side comes up before the other. Based on what the manual recommends for field conditions and ground speed, I think I want around 110lbs on each side. What is the best method to weigh this? Spring scale? I feel like there must be a more accurate method than just lifting and comparing, right?

·
2,747 Posts
Find a level spot and lower the head and frame all the way down.

I adjust the floatation springs so I can raise the side I am adjusting with what I judge to be 75lbs of force. I then do the same to the other side. You want the head light enough so you won‘t get a hernia lifting the head, but heavy enough so the bar goes back to the ground quickly. I like to set them light.

The amount of spring bolt showing out of the springs will be different from side to side. The pair of springs on one side should be the same length.

Since one side is raising before the other is a good indication the floatation is not set right. You do not need to get a spring scales out to get it perfect, just use your best judgement.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts