Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2015 brand new New Holland 6730 in 2016 I mowed twenty-five ac last year with no problem. This year I mowed about ten ac. and the gear box froze. I took it back to the dealer here in Ky and they found that the gear box was frozen due to no oil in it. They rebuilt it and I was told it was under warranty. I went to mow again and I got about an ac mowed before I had another problem. I took it in again and this time I was told there was a broken shaft which is suppose to break under stress. Two of my blades were bent and they were hitting the bar which they said caused the bar shaft to shear. I was then called into the office and was told that the unit was not under warranty when the first problem happened. I was also told that i had bought the unit in 2015 which was wrong I thought, but being 73 I thought I could be wrong but I was not. So now I am being told I have to pay three grand for the first fix and that it was my fault that the blades bent and were hitting the bar. I am willing to pay for the bar shaft fix. But why has New Holland denied the first claim. i was also told by the owner of the dealership that when cutting grass that the mower should be several inches above the grass. Now this unit has skid plates which I thought were meant to ride along the ground. I am new at this and I could be doing things wrong but a leaking gear box is not my fault. Can anyone give me any insight as too what I am doing wrong.

thanks

rick

·
Hay Something
1,570 Posts
Hi Rick, welcome to Haytalk!

That cutterbar should float on the ground as you suspect. I'm not familiar with how to set the cut height on that mower, but there are some really knowledgeable New Holland folks on here who will likely chime in.

·
2,906 Posts
Send me PM with your serial number and I will check when you bought the mower. To send a PM click on my name in the header and you will be brought to another screen. In the center of the screen will be a button to send a message. Click on the button and then you can type what you want.

Your oil problem is one of those gray areas. If the failure occurred in the warranty period then it would be covered. If it failed outside of the warranty period, then the first thing I or anyone else would ask is did you check the oil level? The owner has to take responsibility for the service of the mower. You can get by without checking the oil level while under warranty, but outside of warranty it becomes a question of did you fulfill your side of the bargain.

Which gearbox failed, the main drive gearbox or the one under the main drive gearbox?

·
Registered
715 Posts
I have to agree with Mike I check the gearbox once a year at the start of the season and that is probably not enough, but better then never. I also change the oil in the cutter bar once a season. NH is usually pretty good on issues like this but we always buy from the same dealer 90% of the time. I just got my Vermeer tedder back after the dealer fixed it from a log damage $1100 bill. Did about 35 acres and major event teeth flying arms bent $3300 bill deal told me did not know what caused problem but pay up. Bought from that dealer twice first and last.Calling Vermeer today to see if they will help most likely waste of breath.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.