Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a Nh 575 quit tying the man brought me a hay dog and a broken spring no pin went to look at it and the left billhook had sheared the roll pin ok easy fix got all the parts on hand then noticed the right side cam gear is broke in half and the needle is broke at the yoke and the knotter had tied the knot and it was still on billhook,I have been around and working on NH balers for 50 years and I have never seen anything like this before any ideas or suggestions will be appreciated no problem fixing it just trying to figure out what caused all of this. Thanks

·
2,554 Posts
Let me see if I have this straight. Left knotter billhook drive pin sheared. Right knotter cam gear broke along with right needle. Right knotter bill hook had completed knot in it’s jaws.

You certainly have some odd failures. Generally when the needles break at the yoke the plunger nailed them. When only one needle breaks at the yoke you will likely find something in the plunger needle slot or needle safety latch inoperative and were lucky only one needle broke. I can see possibly the hay dog coming loose and interfering with the needle but if the knot was formed the needles had to have reached the top of their travel.

Even if something caused the needle to break, what caused the left bill hook pin to shear?

I have never seemed a pin shear in the billhook there just is no pressure against the rotation of the bill hook except the pull of the twine when pulled from the twine disc. Also, I have never seen a cam gear broke in half. I know you are stating what you found, but if some stranger came up to me with these problems I would have to see it to believe it.

A photo would be nice. If the left knife arm is bent, then the left billhook was out of time and the knife arm struck the billhook which I guess could have sheared the pin if the knotter stack continued to rotate, just have never seen the pin sheared. Having said that, i have not dealt with many 575 balers and their extra heavy duty knife arms. What about the knotter shear bolt, did the shear bolt shear?

Can you imagine how much force was required to break the cam gear. If no foreign material was the cause, I would suspect too much knotter stack endplay causing the billhook pinions to jump time and the hay dog is just something to confuse the issue.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts