Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Hay Master (Supposedly)
4,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see I have a bearing out in the gear side of the pivot roll. Does the entire sledge assembly have to come out of the baler to replace this bearing?

·
3,000 Posts
Pull the bearing and sprocket on right side. Remove the two bolts holding the anti wrap shield on the right side.

Remove the center bolt on the left side and pry the roll to the right and the roll should come out.

·
Hay Master (Supposedly)
4,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks!
I read through your post on removing the sledge frame, but that didn’t really clarify if the pivot roll bearings could be replace without removing the sledge frame. I was able to R&R the pivot roll bearings and gear with the roll mostly in place. With the sprocket and bearing behind it removed, the pivot roll can swing forward just enough to R&R the gear through the side of the baler right behind the duckbill. It’s a bit tight, and the roll has to be rotated a few times to expose all the gear bolts, but it spares the effort of wrestling the roll entirely out and back in.

·
3,000 Posts
As the say, there is more than one way to skin a cat. The hardest part of the job is removing the sprocket and bearing. As long as you get the job done there is no right or wrong way. On balers with laced belts I disconnect the belts so I can push the sledge frame forward with the tailgate all the way up. On endless belts, I remove the tension from the belts and remove the follower roll and scraper support. With straps to support the follower roll there is no need to fight with the follower roll. Now the tailgate can be fully raised and the sledge frame pushed forward Which allows easy access to the rolls. When reinstalling the follower roll. I place a bar across the front of the baler and use tarp straps around each belt and hooked to the bar to hold the belts forward so the follower roll can easily be lowered into the frame.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts