Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Hay Master (Supposedly)
4,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the last three days we baled, one of my 560s has had the duckbill stall in the insert position; it does it a few times at the start of the day, then doesn’t do it again. Initially I thought the duckbill was binding a little in the notch of the side sheet as the left hand bushing was wore totally out on both balers. But after I replaced the bushing, it still did it a few times. Net brake isn’t set overly tight that I know of. I’m wondering if the actuator is starting to give up. Is there a way to check the draw on the motor? If the actuator is OK I wonder about increasing the tension on the counter balance springs a little.

3,037 Posts
What is the code? Where is the duckbill? There is no brake tension when fully inserted. If it is happening at full insert, tightening the springs will not help since the springs are either over center at that time or are very close. It could be the motor assy is getting weak. You might also want to check how close the tailgate sensor is to the pin. Do what is necessary to get the sensor as close to the pin as possible. Not sure on the 560, but on the BR balers if the sensor senses the tailgate opening even momentarily, the duckbill will stop moving. When the tailgate latches wear and the sensor is not adjusted close, the tailgate will bounce enough for the tailgate sensor to loose contact.

Thinking out loud. If the brake is applied at the time of the problem I wonder if your tractor is charging first thing in the morning.

4,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are right about the springs, I forgot they do very little at full insert and that is where the duckbill is stalling I’m pretty sure.

I doubt the battery voltage is the problem as the tractor had been running for some time before commencing baling operations. Should have been plenty of time to restore full charge.

This may be a clue what’s going on, when I had it happen to me I tried retracting the duckbill manually while the bale was still wrapping, no go. Had to stop the PTO, retract the duckbill, restart the PTO, cut the net manually. And for all that trouble I know for certain you will not have that bale show on the bale count! :mad:

4,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I want to say the code associated with the stalled duckbill was 600.07, but that may not have been the only code. I will see if those duckbill error codes are stored.

3,037 Posts
That code is for the duckbill not home. That usually does not show up unless you turn the operators panel off and then back on or manually move the duckbill.. There should be a different code that comes up when the problem starts. I do not think that code is stored but the initial code if there was one I think should be stored..

If that code comes up first, then I think there may be a problem with the motor assy. Cold weather may affect the grease in the motor gearbox especially if moisture has entered the gearbox. A quick check would be to extend and retract the duckbill several times before baling and then see if the problem is still present when you are baling.

4,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A quick check would be to extend and retract the duckbill several times before baling and then see if the problem is still present when you are baling.
I guess we can say we tried this, as the last afternoon we baled I made at least a handful of bales with no problem initially, then up came the duckbill error a couple times, then it didn’t happen again.

4,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I looked at the stored codes and that didn’t shed any light into what is causing the duckbill to stall. The most recent code was a 600.09. The next most recent code was 600.05, and the next code after that was from so far back as to obviously be irrelevant. It was annoying to note that the 600.09 code had occurred on that machine at least 100 more times that the 600.05 code, which is the error code that usually occurs when the net roll runs out before the bale is fully wrapped. In rare instances the 600.09 error code will show instead. There is a specific code for the duckbill stalling before getting back to the home position but it is not in the stored error codes.

3,037 Posts
If I remember correctly you had your software updated to 5.02. The 5.02 software spit out some of the codes and I think one of those codes was 600.05. The 5.02 software added a code for the net counter roller. If the system sees the net slow down a separate code will be generated. With the prior software the duckbill would stop moving when this fault occurred. 600.05 indicates a faulty net process. Slowing the pto speed down once the net started, prior software, or the net movement is not spinning the counter roller fast enough. 600.09 can be caused by a faulty counter roller sensor or roller, or just by running out of net. You may want to check your counter roller to make sure it rotates freely and you probably already checked for magnetic dust on the magnets. You also need to see what the code is when the fault occurred since not all fault codes are stored.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts