Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tore into the bar on a 1432 to replace all the cross shafts. I got a section of 4 modules and spacers that I can’t get to separate. All the tie bolts are out but they’re just froze up together. Any ideas on how to get them apart?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I actually downloaded a bunch of your documents last night I guess I missed the one on separating the bar. I have a few other questions that I didn’t find
1. Is the tool to tighten the tie bolts 1/2 or 3/4 drive? (I haven’t ordered it yet)
2. I am going to reuse all my top caps, is there a procedure to grease the bearings? Kind of grease?
3. Locktite anywhere on reassembly? Torque on top cap bolts?
4. What’s your thoughts on aftermarket parts? The Disc Mower Doctor has everything I need.
Appreciate the help

·
2,554 Posts
The tool is 3/4" drive

The bearings are splash lubricated. If you have washed the oil from the top caps already, then you may want to add some grease to the top bearing and oil the bottom bearing but oiling the top bearing should be sufficient. If you have not done anything to the bearings, then you do not need to add any grease. I do not add any lubrication to the top caps I re-use

I torque all grade 5 bolts used on the cutter bar to 85 ftlbs.

No loctite. Do not re-use the 12pt drive hub bolts. Install new bolts and do NOT use an impact to tighten. Torque to 135 ftlbs.

I have heard nothing bad about those parts.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is there any reason not to use anti-seize on the cross shafts when putting it back together?

·
2,554 Posts
Originally ant-seize was recommended but was later changed to just hi-temp grease. In fact your machine may have had anti-seize on the shafts from the factory. I have not seen where anti-seize is better than just regular hi temp grease.

·
Registered
801 Posts
My own 2 cents on the matter, over priced at that. Never seize/ Anti seize sound be used to keep non moving items free, bolts, non rotating pins, etc, grease should be used on surfaces that move, splined shafts (with out a set screw), pivot pins, etc. Anti seize tends to have copper and/ or aluminum, most likely to help with rust and corrosion, but not good ingredients in situation where components are moving against each other.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would guess you are right. Anti-seize probably wouldn’t last as a lubricant for very long

1 - 8 of 8 Posts