Hay & Forage Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planted hay last year end of April. I am in west Michigan area BTW. Came up great but a little weedy which is to be expected in your 1st year. Cut in August 2020 and Baled. Left it the rest of 2020 and left it a little longer going into the winter hoping for good survival. This spring is super dry here in Michigan and yet it did pretty decent. It’s not as tall or thick as the neighboring fields but overall I’m happy with it. There’s a great weather window here next 4-5 days and I’m torn on whether to cut it now even tho it’s a fuzz shorter than the neighboring stands or leave it hoping for more height in a couple weeks. Thoughts? Some areas are knee/thigh height and others are literally ankle height based on soil moisture I’d bet. 2 varieties of Orchard Grass, Timothy, Alfalfa Stand. Thanks in advance for your expertise!

·
Hay Something
1,437 Posts
Welcome to HayTalk @Dhosera!!

Did you fertilize this spring? I'm not sure how different your growing season might be than mine, but you're probably not going to make up the extra height. If it were me, and I had a window, I'd take it. Waiting for it grow more will likely reduce your quality for very little extra quantity.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply! I did not fertilize this spring. Last year when I planted I had it fertilized and my Nutrien rep said it could be skipped this year.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I’d cut it all and hope the next cut is better.

If first cutting is too delayed it puts a little pressure on the calendar to get the last cutting off early enough in the fall to allow some regrowth before temps drop off. I don’t like to push a new stand too late just for a few more bales, too much invested to lose over the winter that early in the game.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea I’m thinking I shoulda knocked it down tonight. I’d say maybe 25% of the hay around my general area got cut in the las few days, but theirs is all well established hay and mine is new. I went into the winter in 2020 a little longer with exactly that thought process in mind. Sacrifice a late small cutting for better establishment. Thank you guys for the replies!

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I'm in SW MI and took advantage of this recent window to put up a few fields. Once it heads out the only thing you're getting more of from there is stem so I cut it as soon as I'm able to. I'm cutting horse hay though and prefer quality over tonnage; the leafier the better for my purposes. This year was especially good for that. Most of my first cut that has come in has had a softness more like second cut.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks HayJosh. Yea last week thurs-Sunday were prime days and I took the advice and knocked down 2 of 3 and got em put up. Best hay we ever made! Kicking myself that I didn’t knock down field 3 of 3, but o well. It’ll give me something to obsess about for the next couple weeks watching weather Windows! Hope you got all the rain we did today too? We got a much needed downpour!

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Thanks HayJosh. Yea last week thurs-Sunday were prime days and I took the advice and knocked down 2 of 3 and got em put up. Best hay we ever made! Kicking myself that I didn’t knock down field 3 of 3, but o well. It’ll give me something to obsess about for the next couple weeks watching weather Windows! Hope you got all the rain we did today too? We got a much needed downpour!
In downtown Kalamazoo where I work, we got some rain, but nothing at our place. Yesterday I left work early to get to the Coop before close to pickup some urea to spread ahead of the rains. They knew I was coming, and when I was 10 minutes out they called me and told me a guy just came in and bought everything they had. I was a bit disheartened to say the least because the grass here needs every boost it can get for any chance of a second cutting, and we're supposed to have several days of rain.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts