Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How about a forum to report final purchase prices on new equipment. Would be an excellent tool for someone negotiating with dealers. Whenever I purchase something I try shop around, check internet prices, and get a couple quotes so I can make informed negotiations, but it would be really nice to have a source to find out what others have paid and how good of a negotiator I am.

If members would post their new equipment purchases it would not take long to have a very useful, searchable list of prices actually being paid.

·
Full of questionable knowledge.
5,220 Posts
How about a forum to report final purchase prices on new equipment. Would be an excellent tool for someone negotiating with dealers. Whenever I purchase something I try shop around, check internet prices, and get a couple quotes so I can make informed negotiations, but it would be really nice to have a source to find out what others have paid and how good of a negotiator I am.

If members would post their new equipment purchases it would not take long to have a very useful, searchable list of prices actually being paid.
I think that is a good idea. It would probably take awhile to get a decent database and by then it would be out of date. Maybe start with something simple like small balers or round balers. Since those are the two pieces of equipment that the majority of Haytalk contributors purchase more of it seems to me.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
The problem would be trade-ins. It'd be hard to get a definitive sale price on anything other than a straight sale. Even the difference in cash price and finance price could skew the numbers.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah. Trade ins could make it messy. Although the last couple of times, the dealers have only wanted to base the deal on a straight up cash price, then talk about what they could do with a trade.

Financing could be something included in the report and might be just as helpful to someone as price.

·
Hay Master
5,059 Posts
I treat trade-in separately from purchase. I like to get the price on anything as if I was paying cash--no trade-in.

Then I treat the trade-in as if I was selling it outright.

E.g. Couple of years ago, I wanted to get rid of my 94 F250 and get a new F150. I dickered with the dealer on the F150 and lead him to believe I was paying cash, no trade-in. I got a pretty acceptable price (sticker - 15% or more is a good price.)

I then said what is my F250 worth? He gave me a price and it was LOW! I countered with what I thought was a reasonable price--he said "No". We couldn't reach agreement on the trade-in and new F150 price.

So I paid cash. And sold my F250 for what I wanted on Craigslist. He was happy; I was happy (except I'm VERY dissatisfied with the F150 mileage). Yes, I had to do a little extra work to sell the F250, but it paid about $200/hr, which I will take any day of the week.

There is a wealth of info in the Internet--you can get the real prices of almost anything pretty easily nowadays.

And knowledge is power.

Ralph

·
“Not a real farmer” farmer
10,991 Posts
I treat trade-in separately from purchase. I like to get the price on anything as if I was paying cash--no trade-in.

Then I treat the trade-in as if I was selling it outright.

E.g. Couple of years ago, I wanted to get rid of my 94 F250 and get a new F150. I dickered with the dealer on the F150 and lead him to believe I was paying cash, no trade-in. I got a pretty acceptable price (sticker - 15% or more is a good price.)

I then said what is my F250 worth? He gave me a price and it was LOW! I countered with what I thought was a reasonable price--he said "No". We couldn't reach agreement on the trade-in and new F150 price.

So I paid cash. And sold my F250 for what I wanted on Craigslist. He was happy; I was happy (except I'm VERY dissatisfied with the F150 mileage). Yes, I had to do a little extra work to sell the F250, but it paid about $200/hr, which I will take any day of the week.

There is a wealth of info in the Internet--you can get the real prices of almost anything pretty easily nowadays.

And knowledge is power.

Ralph
That's exactly how I do it. Dealer wants to know if you're trading because it affects his selling price to you on the new piece you want.
Another skewing factor is geographic location. I just priced a Big Tex 30' gooseneck. HERE in PA, best deal I could get including tax, tags, fees, was $10,300.
Guy I know in Missouri paid $8,970 and it's actually a 32 footer.
The used Kubota I just bought would cost 10-20% more here in the mid Atlantic than in the south or Midwest.
The mid Atlantic and northeast pay a premium for almost everything.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.