Hay & Forage Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I planted my first 2 acres of alfalfa this year. I used roundup ready seed. No cover crop. My question is when should you spray the roundup. The feild is almost 100% green, no dirt showing. Was thinking this woud be the time so the alfalfa would keep out any new weeds since the gournd is completly covered. I am in Eastern Nebraska if that makes a difference. Look forward to any advise.

·
Hay Master
1,064 Posts
Hittle,
Sorry you have not received any responses to your initial spraying of RR seedling alfalfa. The purpose of the initial spraying of RR alfalfa with Glyphosate is to remove any non-Roundup-Ready seedlings (nulls) and to eliminate weed competition with the alfalfa seedlings. Normally, it is recommended to do the first weed control spraying after the majority of the seedlings put on their first true leaf. First you see the two cotyledons; then comes the unifoliate leaf (a non-trifoliate leaf). Some time later, the first true, trifoliate leaf (three leaves per stem) appears. This is the time to do the first spraying with Glyphosate at 22 oz per acre. No more than 44 oz of Glyphosate are to be sprayed on RR alfalfa in any one year.
Vincent

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hittle,
Sorry you have not received any responses to your initial spraying of RR seedling alfalfa. The purpose of the initial spraying of RR alfalfa with Glyphosate is to remove any non-Roundup-Ready seedlings (nulls) and to eliminate weed competition with the alfalfa seedlings. Normally, it is recommended to do the first weed control spraying after the majority of the seedlings put on their first true leaf. First you see the two cotyledons; then comes the unifoliate leaf (a non-trifoliate leaf). Some time later, the first true, trifoliate leaf (three leaves per stem) appears. This is the time to do the first spraying with Glyphosate at 22 oz per acre. No more than 44 oz of Glyphosate are to be sprayed on RR alfalfa in any one year.
Vincent
The 44 oz is actually a per application rating. You should not exceed 4.1 quarts or 132 oz in any one year. Normally you only need to go close to 44 is you are spraying when it is cold at greenup in the spring or late fall.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hittle,
Vincent
Thank you so much for you detailed responce. I need all the help I can get and I feel like i can do this with out screwing it up with your well explained answer. Thank you again!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The 44 oz is actually a per application rating. You should not exceed 4.1 quarts or 132 oz in any one year. Normally you only need to go close to 44 is you are spraying when it is cold at greenup in the spring or late fall.
Oh ok. Thank you much

·
Hay Master
1,064 Posts
I stand corrected. Mallow is right in that up to 44 oz Glyphosate per acre can be applied at one time. Also, the initial seedling year application should be made when the alfalfa is in the range of three to five trifoliate leaf stage.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I stand corrected. Mallow is right in that up to 44 oz Glyphosate per acre can be applied at one time. Also, the initial seedling year application should be made when the alfalfa is in the range of three to five trifoliate leaf stage.
[/QUO
Hittle,
Vincent
Thank you again for your reply, but i have let the plants get bigger than 3 leaves, they are more like 10 leaves. Am I out of luck or will it just not work as well??

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thank you for the correction

·
Registered
99 Posts
go ahead and spray it at max rate. what's leftover will be RR alfalfa and RR weeds. I hope you don't have any resistant weed species. even if you do, a good stand of alfalfa competes very well

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a new planting of RR Alfalfa and it is just now about 2 inches tall and the majority of the plants have three leaves. There is the dreaded Ragweed here and there in the field. When I got this field, it hadn’t been used for years and looked like a jungle with giant ragweed over your head, along with a slew of other types of weeds. Between brush hogging, spraying and disking I was able to plant this year. I am so nervous about spraying the new seedlings. Is there a time limit on how long they can be sprayed?

·
Super Moderator
15,764 Posts
I have a new planting of RR Alfalfa and it is just now about 2 inches tall and the majority of the plants have three leaves. There is the dreaded Ragweed here and there in the field. When I got this field, it hadn’t been used for years and looked like a jungle with giant ragweed over your head, along with a slew of other types of weeds. Between brush hogging, spraying and disking I was able to plant this year. I am so nervous about spraying the new seedlings. Is there a time limit on how long they can be sprayed?
I would wait until the majority of alfalfa seedlings have 3-4 trifoliate leaves each.....not just one trifoliate leaf. They will get to that stage pretty quickly now.

Regards, Mike

·
Registered
35 Posts
No time limit but if you can't see the ground you won't kill any weeds, just the non RR alfalfa. As Vol said that will happen quick. Can also mix in some pesticide if you have leafhopper issues around.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts