Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The general manager for the co-op that my wife and I both work for asked us if we would be interested in baling his hay this next season. I believe it is mostly grass (brome, orchard, bluegrass, and most likely some fescue) and maybe a little clover. His field is about 8 acres and 5 miles from our house. My understanding is that he just wants us to bale it.

My question is, how much should we charge if we have to load or stack as well. ISU custom rate I believe averages small square baling at $.55. I was thinking around $.60 to just drop them on the ground. I maybe to low on this, but we don't have a lot of over head. My other thought is what percent of the hay would be good to ask for to do it on shares for just the baling? We could always use the hay for our cows.

Thanks in advance,
Ryan

·
10,011 Posts
Ryan, are just talking about baling? That's what I would make sure of first. Perhaps I would do it for 1$ a bale, but I think Isu is living in the past at .55. That's easy to do, the dollar is declining so quickly in value, it's difficult to not screw yourself. I would think for every bale you make you would have to average about .20-.25 a bale in just fuel costs. If these have to be picked up and put in storage, 3.50 a bale. You could bale on halves with him, if he pays for fert. You bale and work out a trade, I would say 70/30 him if he is fert. and cutting and raking. That's negotiable as to what he wants done with his bales. IMO

·
3,912 Posts
I would charge at least 50 cents to bale.
I have not squared from cut to baling in years. My price back then was $1.50 left in the field. That was property that bordered me and I did not have to move equipment.
A guy called me this past fall wanting 10 acres cut, raked and baled. He was paying $1.50 and the guy went up a quarter so he was looking for someone else. I passed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.