Hay & Forage Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
#1, I am NOT a farmer. I find that I am often having to do farmer things. :)

I have a field that is mostly alfalfa but it is not very thick. Some timothy, some grass, mixed and patchy.
This property has been neglected and has lots of weeds, gophers, some badgers digging going after the gophers...
Trying to figure how to best get the most out of this field.
I am not terribly worried about getting a CROP off of this, but like having the alfalfa.
Last year, we cut it with the alfalfa and the thistles in it. Feeding it to sheep and they didn't seem to mind the thistles.
I THINK that we can't spray normal for the thistles because that will kill the alfalfa. ?? Other options?

This year the field is yellow with what I think is mustard.
I don't remember having this much in it last year.
Same deal, I can't spray (I think? 2-4D) or it will kill the alfalfa?

If I cut this NOW, before the yellow stuff goes to seed, will it HURT the alfalfa to cut it early?
Will it help get rid of the yellow stuff? Will cutting it early help get rid of the thistles?
How do I tell when the yellow stuff is going to seed? Is it too late?

There is an irrigation pump set up and a wheel line that we have put water on this, but I don't know how much is too much and when is best to have wet and when to let it dry out.

QUESTIONS, questions, questions...

·
Registered
36 Posts
2-4,D will definitely hurt the alfalfa so avoid that. 2-4,DB can be used on alfalfa but not on mustard that tall or any weed that tall. The thistle will regrow after mowing as well. Only continued short mowing will hurt the thistle eventually. If thistle are isolated you might be able to spot spray them before they expand. The early mowing will not hurt the alfalfa.

·
Registered
103 Posts
i have found that fertilizing to recommended levels after a soil test makes a huge difference on weed pressure

1 - 3 of 3 Posts