Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my son is wanting to do some hay work. He just bought a square baler and has a rake. We have an old Massey 31 sickle mower that we are getting the pto shaft fixed on. What would be a good mower for hay going forward? He will be doing mainly smaller fields like 10 acres and under. He hope to step up to a small round baler too like a Heston 530 his main market is the goat and sheep people around. He’s 14 and wants to be his own boss because he is involved heavily in CAP and commits a lot of time to that. Right now I have a Massey 2860E which is 57hp. He is looking to have his own tractor by the end of the year also like an Allis D17 or something like that. So should we look at a 7’ haybine? Or a drum mower? I don’t know anything about drum mowers they sure look interesting. I’ve never used a Tedder are they required with the drum mower? Looking for ideas on where to start. Thank you

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We are in northern Missouri. I’ve never seen a Tedder used before but I watched some drum mowing videos and they were teasing after they cut so I didn’t know if it was a must have or not. I was thinking a 7’ haybine just for using in the small acreages that he will be cutting. Of course we will have to add on to the lean too because I don’t want a haybine sitting outside

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok well he just sold his first 50 bales and is super excited. he has another field he can bale but our neighbor who mows it can’t get to it for a couple weeks. So we are going to have to get our own mower. New drum new disc or a used haybine our tractor could handle one of the new Massey disc mowers but a 5.5’ or 6,9’ cut is that worth it to have a disc mower? Being new I’d know how it was used and maintained any way. Also thinking about a small round baler too

1 - 5 of 5 Posts