Hay & Forage Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
I am just guessing a stalk chopper gearbox should be good for a 100 hp or more. How wide are the 3 units sitting side by side? I think my single is 9 or 10 feet without measuring. 3 9ft windrows are 27 feet, you will be fine in the field but how are you going to get them there? I used mine when we made hay inn September this year, Wish I would have ran it on 1 field a 1/2 day or day sooner would have really helped more. If a person made it with wings and drove the center unit then get something like the finger type couplers like they have on some folding planters you could let the outside units flex a little

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
How wide are the 3 units sitting side by side? I think my single is 9 or 10 feet without measuring. 3 9ft windrows are 27 feet, you will be fine in the field but how are you going to get them there?
You’re correct between 9-10 ft .. all mine are 710 models.. I’m hoping to make the wings fold so it’s narrow enough to go down the road..
Couple concerns tho..1) I’m afraid the reel of a folded up wing will contact the middle reel and not fully rotate... 2) I don’t know the the frame (as constructed) can hold the additional weight of 2 wings without bending

All things we’ll have to see when we get there... if all else fails I buy a Donahue trailer lol.. easy on easy off

·
Hay Master (Supposedly)
3,739 Posts
I’m afraid the reel of a folded up wing will contact the middle reel and not fully rotate..
Interference between the center and wing reels with depend on how much space you want between the reels during operation. If you need them fairly close together, or you are wanting zero gap between reels, then you will need to offset the wings, either forward or backward. I think if the center fluffer’s frame was reinforced that would work fine.

Reactions: mstuck21

·
Registered
503 Posts
If you make the outer units as wings 27 to 30 ft wide you are going to want the wings to be able to flex up and down a little. When folded up and the center carries all the weight I would wonder if the axles and hubs are heavy enough, This is an interesting project I would like to see it make it to the field.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts