Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the reel-style tedders or fluffers aren't real popular with a lot of guys but I'm curious if anyone out there ever attempted to modify one to do multiple windrows at a time? I have a pequea 710 I bought on the cheap and I really like the job it does on straight alfalfa. I use it when we have a 4-day window to make hay. I think it saves lots of leaves and color compared to a regular star tedder. The fluffer's biggest drawback is that its a single windrow at a time. I use both styles of tedder at different times. I know every cutting/window is different but I really think you can see the difference when the bales are side by side in the shed.

I wouldn't really want 2 hooked together with a rake extension and the one being used on front of a swather on youtube is really cool but way out of my league. I'm looking for someone who said I sure wish I had 3 of these attached together and then made it. Could you run 3 reels with one pto shaft? I don't know. Just real curious.

·
Hay Master (Supposedly)
3,736 Posts
We use a ground drive fluffer on occasion. I have the same thought you do. I really like what it does but it is way too slow. So far I haven’t gotten serious about solving that problem. If I ever do get that far I also want to go to at least a 6 bar reel to get a smoother crop flow. Probably make it a 4 reel machine and fold it somewhat like a star style tedder?

·
Registered
503 Posts
For that type of tedder you could make something on the 3 point hitch, if you went 2 wide a pto to the middle with a bearing support and then belt drive out to each side with a stub pto belt driven, or you could make it a 3 wide. THe only problem with this idea is it would be a rigid hitch and figuring at 9 or 10 ft wide per unit you end up 27 to 30 ft wide for transport

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies fellas.. I could have really used the 3-wide fluffer this week.. got a pop up shower on 25 acres of alfalfa.. can’t fluff too early bc the hay has to dry and lighten up enough for it to work but need to get going bc 25 acres @ 1 windrow is a lot of riding

It’s 95+ degrees everyday night now which is less than ideal for wet hay so I just tedded it all out to get done.. I’d still be riding the fluffer but i think that was actually the correct tool to use

·
Registered
5,533 Posts
I’m curious what the drawback to pulling two with a rake hitch is. It seems like easily the cheapest way to halve your time. Once you get into trying to do three rows is where it’s going to get complicated and more expensive.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rake hitch seems like a long setup for small fields.. I agree that route would be the cheapest/most direct with what equipment is available I was just wondering/hoping someone has modified one to a more compact setup..

·
Registered
5,533 Posts
Rake hitch seems like a long setup for small fields.. I agree that route would be the cheapest/most direct with what equipment is available I was just wondering/hoping someone has modified one to a more compact setup..
Everything is relative. Not sure how small you’re talking for field size but I ran a hydraulic swing rake hitch for a few years (with rakes) and didn’t find it very limiting regardless of field size. It was more annoying if you had to work into a point than in small fields, and rakes should be worse compared to the tedder because you can’t ted yourself into a corner like you can with a rake or rakes. I would recommend that you give it a try. The risk reward ratio is mostly in your favor.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Hows this for an idea but the biggest problem is they are specific to say a 9 or 10 ft haybine otherwise you could build for 12 ft or 15 ft. Get a 30ft folding toolbar you would have to mount the units with parallel linkage to float put one in the middle and one on each wing. You could have lift assist wheels so you could use a smaller tractor. Shouldn't take to much power so hydraulic drive them

·
Registered
503 Posts
Plan B already how about mounting on a front fold bar like some of the corn planters. Off topic question is it possible to go into an old post to edit or add to it? i haven't been able to find a way.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It’s a possibility Hitech. We don’t have many triangles so that should work.

I run a 9 ft discbine so the 710 fits just right inbetween so the tires stay off the next swaths.. if you could do 3 wide in a pass the “wings” wouldnt have to be 7-ft wide.. like 4 ft would work.. just looking at the thing I’d love to take mine extend the center bar of the reel and add a coupling (I dont know what it’s called) like a tedder has to drive the fold down baskets... take two donor fluffers and shorten them to a tire and 4 ft of reel (left side of one donor and right side of the other) ..hinge up for wings on each side, fold down in the field which all drive off the middle original and wala you have a 3-wide fluffer. Probably clear as mud.

I don’t know if the original gear box would drive that (mines pto driven).

Regardless I’m no fabricator just a dummy wondering. I’m going to keep playing with it. Either way I need to find at least another lol

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
HiTech or Danwi... (or anyone else). ... do you think the original gear box and belt/pull would spin 3 units??? Could always switch to a sprocket and chain but would like to keep the middle unit as stock as possible.. I can’t find any info online for what the gear box is rated for/capacity.. oh well there’s one way to find out
Cloud Sky Ecoregion Building Wheel

·
Hay Master (Supposedly)
3,736 Posts
I don’t think one gearbox will like handling 3x the load it was supposed to — an old 4 row dual drive stalk shredder gearbox would do the trick nicely. Or 6 row.

·
Registered
177 Posts
You mean something like this. If so there's about a dozen scattered around my county in the weeds. Everyone used to have one then we went to replows. They are only about 21 feet wide so might not fit the bill.

Attachments

·
Registered
177 Posts
That's a peanut reshaker. We use to run them if peanuts got rained on to lift them up so they could dry faster. Now most everyone uses a replow which runs under them and crumbles the soil this way seems to work faster. There is literally hundreds of them around for scrap metal price, they were designed for 6 36" rows we widened ours to 9 30" rows pretty easy. Real tough built.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Interesting... like I said never seen one before.. never have seen peanuts growing either.. the tool bar has me intrigued tho ..aside from this project where that tool bar might be slick.. we have a couple implements for vegetables that I wish were setup like that

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I've watched that video many times.. I'm probably half the views.. exactly what i want to do only i'd like mine to cost a lot less than that one lol

The ideas are working.. danwi suggested in the original thread that a 3 pt rig would be nice to pick up at the head lands ( i agree) and JOR has me searching all over the internet for a peanut reshaker ...2 hrs ago i didnt know what one was but now i got to have one

1 - 20 of 25 Posts