Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've just picked up a new weather station that suits haying down to the ground. It isn't like your normal ones, in that you can look at what the weather is from your Iphone, Ipod, or Ipad wherever you are, and you can also set up cutomised alerts if it goes under/over a certain humidity/rainfall/temp/wind. Obviously the humidity alerts are awesome for baling! I will warn though, they seem to be having some troubles with their alert system at the moment, in that I'm not getting them, but I believe their system is relatively new, so hopefully they sort it out soon. I am in no way connected with this company, I just think this setup is great for haying!

Info here for anyone interested: http://us.oregonscientific.com/cat-Weather-sub-Professional-Weather-Stations-prod-Anywhere-Weather-Kit.html

Youtube link below also.

HTH,
Aaron.

·
Hay Master
1,763 Posts
suits haying down to the ground.
That is what we want and need is the humidity down where the hay is, not up at eye level, at the office or at some weather station.

cutomised alerts if it goes under/over a certain humidity/rainfall/temp/wind.
the humidity alerts are awesome for baling!
For raking we would like the humidity to be in the 90% RH range.
For daytime baling we can start baling small bales, at 70% RH and large bales at < 65% RH. Depending on yur climate you can set an alarm to lead the starting humidity.

Knowing the humidity, for fully cured hay, I can almost dispence with a hay moisture tester.

For night time baling we start baling in the 55% to 65% relative humidity range. I always found baling at night, with the humidity reasonably easy as HERE you can feel the cool humidity. For an easier nap time an alarm is nice. These are fairly common in the arid hay areas where night time baling is essential.

·
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The unit that reads the humidity / temp / barometric press is a portable unit, so you could sit it down on the ground in the field. Though it needs to be within 330 ft of the receiver. I have it on a wall of the house, as my land is all pool table flat, so it gives me a pretty good idea. of the RH.

A screen shot of what you see on your i phone / pad / pod is attached.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.