Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any recommendations for miniature hay balers? I was looking at some of the messicks mini balers, but they are super expensive (and the bales might be too small). I also thought about one of the old adjustable size balers like a NH 65, but can't find one for sale anywhere. I'm also not too keen on manually pressing my own bales (for obvious reasons). There is a demand for small squares for hobby farms here, around fair time for kids and those who struggle with "full size" bales), and for decorations at local nurseries in my area. I'm ready to purchase something to help me make it happen but cannot seem to find anything that won't put me out of business before I make any money!

I also heard rumors about a machine that can chop square bales and re-tie them, but haven't seen one in action. Anyone have any recommendations or any old mini square balers for sale?

Thanks!

·
Registered
124 Posts
What size bale are looking to make?
You can always tie shorter regular sized squares to make them easy to handle. They don’t look as good for decorations but for feeding they’d be fine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What size bale are looking to make?
You can always tie shorter regular sized squares to make them easy to handle. They don’t look as good for decorations but for feeding they’d be fine.
I guess I’m really looking for something that I can change the size on. But for the hobbyist/decoration market, I was thinking of something half the size of a traditional square bale. Almost like a hay “cube” to be more manageable for the average 4-H kid/ cloverbud or suburban house wife to load up in their sedan.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Ive changed the bale length adjustment on both my JD 336 and JD 348 and made half bales.. 20 in +/- length.. never tried hay but worked fine in straw.. we sell them alongside our regular straw, corn stalks, pumpkins, etc.

We've set the baler up and hand fed them in or also baled regularly in creeper gear.. just note I dislike the handfeeding method for the obvious safety concerns, at that time we had built some frames out of wood to go over the pto shaft and pickup so limbs didn't become part of the bale

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I make 20" long bales at least once a year for my mom and a few others. Mostly for feeding a few animals but some are for decorating. They are pretty much square.
Do you just trip the baler to tie early? I'm starting to think this would be my best option... buy a decent baler that I can manually trip when I have the desired length. This might be my place to start. I'm more talented with the dairy cows in the barn... less so with the tractors and machines out in the field... so have to start learning!

Anyone know someone who converted a full-size baler to do smaller ones? maybe 20-30 lb end product?

·
Registered
650 Posts
You should be able to adjust the knotter trip mechanism so it trips after 18 or 20 inches.

I had an IH B45 baler once that had a gear driven knotter trip; an option was a double trip dog that gave 18 inch long bales for making silage.

Bamford in England made a BL30 baler in the 1960s that had a 12 x 16 inch bale chamber. It looked like any other offset small square baler: tractor drawn and PTO driven, just a bit smaller. Likely hard to find even in England now, and I imagine impossible in USA.

Roger

·
Registered
437 Posts
I have seen a baler make a bale with every stork of the plunger when the latch failed on the measuring wheel that sets length of bales. Uses a lot of twine to make one to two inch long bales. I don't recommend that short of bales but it can be done.

·
Registered
5,634 Posts
I have seen a baler make a bale with every stork of the plunger when the latch failed on the measuring wheel that sets length of bales. Uses a lot of twine to make one to two inch long bales. I don't recommend that short of bales but it can be done.
I think on wire tie baler if needles cycle with every stroke of plungerhead wire will hang in twister hooks.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Like Jim said it's easy to adjust bale length my inlines take a 9/16 wrench and about 20 seconds to change from 1 flake to about 6 ft. The shortest I have made were a few straw bales for some family to decorate with they were about a foot long glad I only made a dozen or so because I had to crawl along in a little windrow so that the flakes were really thin. My sister said they looked better than the ones at hobby lobby that were like $16 each. More I think about it might should have done some this year.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts