Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mike 10,

I have seen your help to others and hope that you can help me. I bought a used BR7070 this summer and it has been one thing then another but I really do want to like this baler. Here is my situation, when I bale (T4-115) and open the tailgate, you can feel the bale catch while the tailgate is opening and it will tear the net. The tailgate opening does seem to slow or catch then will open up fully but by then the net is torn. Previously you stated to someone about the bales on these pre pre-clutch balers about asking questions on the tailgate movement, etc... cant find the thread again but you just posed questions, no fixes.

For mine, if I turn off the PTO and eject the bale - no problem, net stays in tact, bale looks good. If I slow the baler speed down, you can still feel it catching and will try and tear the net. So, in my opinion, it is the tailgate speed that causes the net to tear. The tractor is new this year. The bales are tight and seems to be holding pressure well. Is there a way to speed up tailgate opening? I am at a loss and the service techs at the local NH do not seem to have an answer. Thanks,

Don

·
2,620 Posts
If the tailgate opens partially and hesitates then I would say the tractor is not putting out enough gallons per minute. If you have flow control on your tractor remotes adjust them to the fastest flow. If you are using ball tip couplers on the baler I would try the pin type which match better with the tractor. The baler came with pin type couplers. Check that the tailgate lockout valve is opening fully and not stuck partially up. If all else fails you can add a declutch to the drive roll to stop the belts from turning when the tailgate gets so far open. Like the 5x6 balers have.

If you have another tractor you might want to just hook up the hoses and see if it opens the tailgate faster when empty

·
2,620 Posts
There is also an orifice in the lift line. Tonight if I get home before midnight I will look up where it is located on your baler and what direction it should be facing.

·
2,620 Posts
I am attaching a file that shows where the orifice is located and in what position it should be. The diagram is not clear on exactly where the oriface is. Open the front door and look to your right where the frame comes forward. You will see the two hydraulic lines that go through the frame. The larger of the hoses is attached to a 90 degree fitting and this fitting is screwed into what looks like a tube with another fitting at the top. The orifice is in that tube. If you can remove the top fitting you will be able to look down in the tube and not worry about dropping the orifice. The orifice has a flat side and the oposite side has a slot. There is a small hole in the center. If looking from the top you should see the slot along with the hole. When raising the tailgate the oil flows through the slots. When closing the tailgate the oil must flow through the small hole. The orifice is supposed to slow the tailgate down when lowering. If the orifice is installed backwards then the tailgate will be slow raising.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the help Mike 10. You know I have been fighting with this thing and worked from the tractor to the baler and then back to the tractor. I just knew it had to be in the baler because the tractor was new. Initially, when it would tear the net due to slow tail gate opening, I switched the lines thinking that maybe one side of the tractor valve was restricted. When that didn't work, started fiddling with the RPM speed then found out it would work with no PTO so I been wanted it fixed and was working my way through the baler and just knew it had to be there and was set on putting in a declutch kit. Looked at the price tag and thought well it will be worth it.

Tech guy came out last night after I waited all day, he had some other jobs, I had to go to town and there was 4 bales just as pretty as those I baled without the PTO engaged. So even though it was dark I had enough hay laid out for about 4 more bales, and it baled well, could still feel a bit of drag when the bale was ejecting but it worked. So for everyone who reads this and it is why I posted, what did the tech do - switched the lines to the bottom set and there was better flow there. I didn't think to do that cause I used the top both directions. Just goes to show, try everything even if it is new because there could be a problem in the unit and just on one side. I have access to a flow meter and just haven't brought it home.

If you have read all this Mike, I still think a declutch kit might be in my future because I would hate to have this problem again and I want to keep this baler for a long time. It seems to me if this is the direction NH went, they went that way for a reason so why keep an old design if I can upgrade. Thoughts? Thanks again for all your help and your insight is invaluable!!!

·
2,620 Posts
Glad you found the problem. If the tractor hydraulics are fast enough, have enough flow, the declutch is not needed. I do like the fact that the belts stop on the 5x6 balers because of the older tractors that are used. Depending on your serial number there is a large difference in price of the declutch kit. Both kits are not going to be restocked by NH according to the parts code. Once supplies are gone that will be it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts