Hay & Forage Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of getting a JD6120m and can't decide on MFW or not. Resale reasons MFW would be the way to go. Because I do hay the 2 wheel drive appears better as far as maneuverability in the hay field. The 2 WD would have to be ordered I'm sure. Looking for pros and cons?

If I order the 2WD maybe our hay field will be dried by the time it comes.?:rolleyes::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

·
Hay Master
1,858 Posts
I really like the larger tires for the smoother ride in rougher fields regardless if we need mfwd or not. That being said if you don't need it i wouldn't pay the extra to order it for resale ability.

·
Hay Master (Supposedly)
3,530 Posts
I have two baler tractors, one is 2wd, one is MFD, both of the same series. The MFD has the wheels set way out and is hardly less maneuverable than the 2WD, with the benefit of a significantly nicer ride than the 2WD. One that series of tractors it seems the initial purchase cost of the MFD value holds its value as the tractor ages. If used hard, the MFD will cost some money to maintain, but not for a while.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I'd want a MFD so it could be used as a loader tractor too.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
You won't realize how much you use mfwd until you've had it and it's gone. If buying new I would get it. It's nice to have and not only for mud. They are nice for braking heavy loads on hills(if you have hills) and if a loader is ever considered in the future you'll want it.

·
Registered
4,570 Posts
I've rarely engaged the MFWD on my 70 HP tractor used mainly for handling rd bales since i bought it 9 yrs ago. YMMV

·
Gourmet Horse Hay Producer
2,848 Posts
The only time i ever engaged the MFWD on my big tractor was baling on steep slopes with 150+ bales of alfalfa on the kicker wagon. Now I was really glad I had it then but really wish I could have just gotten a 2wd. I don't feed rolls in mud but for a 4 x 5, if I was doing so, I would be using the smaller tractor. Deep snow is a different critter and it is nice for that, but hey, we aren't even going to have plowable snows here in a few years given the trends of the last 20

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have made hay with both a 2wd and a mfwd, the mfwd rides way better on rough fields. I definitely would get it just for peace of mind when it might be muddy

·
Registered
24 Posts
I would go with the MFW because of resale, and like mentioned, way smoother ride, better for loader work, and you will use MFW more than you think, so go with MFW

Shawn

·
Registered
426 Posts
I guess I am going against the grain of most posts. I have a Kubota M9000 2wd and a New Holland TN75 4wd. The Kubota rides Much better doing hay. Both tractors have a loader.
You are spot on with the maneuverability on the 2wd. I feel a big variable is wheelbase. The Kubota is longer and the rear tires are bigger. So I think there is a matrix of things to look at if ride is a big variable for you.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everybody for your input. I value your recommendations. I have a MFD JD4450 that I will trade. It is an '87 and I am sure they have improved the turning radius.:D

·
Registered
397 Posts
I still own one 2wd tractor and when the time comes it will go down the road in favor of a MFWD. The MFWD will do everything a 2wd will do and ride smoother, get out of sticky situations, brake better, handle a loader etc.

·
Super Moderator
15,764 Posts
I own a little 60hp 2wd John Deere with hydrostatic steering. It handles like a sports car. Great raking tractor and pulls wagons really well. I will always keep a 2wd tractor. The footprint is very light and it rides extremely well.

Regards, Mike

1 - 13 of 13 Posts