Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone installed the auger modification on an 1840. I was wondering what all it includes. I have one in my shop that has one of the auger that is way out of line. The owner was told by a dealer that it was too old and would not be covered by warranty. Any info would be appreciated.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I'm pretty sure that kit was only for the 1839 and the 1840 came with that setup from the factory. The quick and easy sanity check is to look at which direction the augers turn. If they rotate down (pulling crop down into the pan) then it doesn't have the kit. If the auger rotates up (fluffs up the crop) it has the kit or came that way from the factory.

To be clear, the kit doesn't include new augers. It includes the components needed to swap the augers side for side and reconfigure the chains to rotate them the opposite direction.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The kit I'm speaking of is the kit that replaces the augers , bearings and sprockets. The shafts are now 1 1/4" and the new is 1 3/8". The auger rotation is not changed. Long story short is I have made the modification now. The bracket that supports the left outer bearing is only 3/16" and was flexing . The shaft was also bent a little. So I added some bracing to that bracket and got everything positioned as it should be. This should fix the issues .

·
Hay Something
1,554 Posts
I've read that those shafts could bend if the auger was feeding a larger damp clump. When the stuffer grabs the end of the clump and pulls, it can put a great deal of leverage on the end of the auger and cause it to bend the shaft or flex the mount. Any pics of your repair/reinforcement?

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks. AGCO said they have had no issues with the bracket flexing. So this is my fix without doing some crazy stuff. Had to work around the chains and sprockets. I think this is going to solve the issue. I guess time will tell when it gets several thousand bales through it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts