Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all.

I had a weird occurrence with my MF1839 small square baler this week. While parked in the barn, the oil in the reservoir on the hydraulic bale tension pump leaked all over my barn floor. Based on where the dirt is washed away, it appears the oil leaked out the pump drive shaft. Here's the odd part. I haven't baled hay since late September (today is December 29th). For the last 12 weeks, there has not been a drop of oil on the floor then suddenly all three quarts are on the floor. A few days ago, we had a cold spell in these parts (Western PA) and the overnight low dropped to the mid single digits. I am wondering if the temperature swings would cause some kind of expansion/contraction that cause a seal to fail.

I have owned the baler for two seasons. Bought it used when it was about 7 years old. During the two hay seasons I have used it, the hydraulic bale system didn't lose a drop of oil. (And I check the reservoir level before every baling day.) So the seals were all good when I parked it in late September.

Any thoughts on why the oil reservoir would suddenly drain out? This wasn't the first time the baler has been in my barn through a cold snap.

And even more important, does AGCO sell a repair kit for the pump?

Any insights on what the heck is going on are welcome.

And so much for Dad's old adage that "equipment never breaks just sitting in the barn" ....

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Going to agree with Hay Slayer (BTW welcome to HT). Sounds like some frozen H2O, has caused your problem, hope it's not a cracked something or other, that might be more $$$. Moisture has be accumulating over time, so maybe wasn't enough to have a problem in prior years.

Larry

·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I suspected water in the oil as well but always good to get the perspective of others on topics like this.

I will get the baler into the (heated) workshop soon and pull the pump.

Going to add another item to my 'pre-winter equipment prep' list.

Here's to hoping its just pushed out seal and not a cracked pump housing. But then again, its still 2020 ....

·
Super Moderator
15,771 Posts
The lid on top of the hydraulic oil canister is a POS. That is the achilles heel of the 1839. The canister tends to weep slightly around the lid when in use and collect chaff. So naturally if you rinse it off it will take on some pressurized water from a hose or a sprayer. It is a good idea to wipe off that canister instead of rinsing off. Another thing you can do is take a 1 gallon plastic bottle like what bleach comes in and cut the bottom of it out and slip it over the top of the hydraulic canister. Then you do not have a water take on issue.

I am sure you had water damage your pump like hay slayer alluded. These pumps have been totally redesigned in the later model 1840. Rebuild your pump if possible, change the oil(10W40 here), and cover the canister and that will be the end of your problems other than the oil weeping from the canister.

Regards, Mike

·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I don't wash my baler but if I ever do I will keep that trick in mind.

Normally I get the leaf blower out at the end of every day after baling and blow off the baler. Then a simple wipe with a dry cloth around the hydraulic oil canister gets rid of the rest of the accumulated crud. Makes greasing the knotters a lot cleaner when you don't have to dig the chaff out from around the knotters to get to the zerks.

I suspect the water came from humidity/condensation in the canister over the years.

In the future, I may drain some oil out the bottom of the canister before the cold weather sets in (and after setting for awhile to let any oil and water separate.) I figure the cost of a quart of 10w40 each year is a lot cheaper than then pump rebuild is going to set me back.

·
Super Moderator
15,771 Posts
I also blow mine off during the season, but I do rinse off the pickup after every use as I use a sulphur based preservative and it is really hard on paint if you don't rinse. I let it dry off in about 5-10 minutes in the sun and spray it with a WD40 fogger.

Regards, Mike

·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I use a sulphur based preservative and it is really hard on paint if you don't rinse.
Mike,

What product do you use?

About two years ago I started using a buffered acid product (doesn't wreck havoc on the paint job). Seems to be working well, but always curious what others are having success with.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts