Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at upgrading balers next year, I am going to be doing more high moisture hay, sorgjhum-sudangrass, and tritacle balage so I would like to get a baler with a chopper system in it. From reading on balers, it seems like the European style balers are much better in high moisture hay than the American counterparts. I think I have narrowed it down to McHale or Kuhn as I have a couple of dealers of both brands nearby. I currently have a New Holland baler but from reading it does not sound like they are very good with high moisture; even the NH literature hardly mentions it and seems like an afterthought.

Any opinions or experiences with a McHale V6750, or a Kuhn VB3165 Opticut or a NH RB450 Cropcutter?

Thanks!

·
Registered
432 Posts
Watched a McHale at a demo and it was a hay eating machine. Then talked to the owner and said he had to wait 8 weeks for a part to come from across the pond as there wasn't anything in stock stateside. The dealer was good and gave him a loaner baler but waiting that long for parts is crazy (same experience I've had with JCB equipment). Not to mention the dealer is 4.5 hours from me.

I have a NH BR7070 cropcutter and I've shoved tons of 60% moisture sorghum sudan thru it for customers. Since changing over to poly pickup bands and a roller wind guard I've had no trouble running the material thru. Feeding dense wet material and slicing makes 180hp know she's back there too.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
The McHale is an excellent baler and in dry hay the difference with a Kuhn may not be much, but in high moisture there is no comparison IMO the McHale leaves all others in the dust. Ireland is not exactly dry hay country. ;)
Disclaimer: don't have a round baler this is from comments of others and observation.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Was in your same boat a couple of years ago and decided to stay with New holland since thats what i knew. Bad choice ran a 7070 and a 460 both with choppers in them and both were junk after 10,000 bales. Afterwards i narrowed my search down to the Mchale and Vermeer, I went Vermeer 604 Pro G3 based on dealer location and have been thrilled thus far. There are a couple of guys running the Mchales here and are also happy. Hope that helps!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
We have the McHale v650 and love it. We had multiple JD before which were good machines for balage but nothing like the McHale! It will eat anything in front of it and it has things like a drop floor so unplugging is made easy if it even does happen.
We are lucky but up here ,parts seem easy to get. Not as easy as Deere for parts but really havent had any problems.
We put through 9000 bales in two years and no issues.
We will be trading for a new one (I think). The new models will be isobus compatible. The on board moisture meter is nice . There is a rumour there will be an automatic door open option when the bale is done being made.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts