Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Hay Master
1,071 Posts
I don't know anything about an MF 1840, but I do run an older version Hoelscher accumulator behind my old NH wire tie sm sq baler. If the Hoelscher accumulator is working as it is designed to do, it should have little effect on baling speed. The potential slow down of the baling process can happen when the baler fails to tie a bale and you have to stop the baling process and remove the loose hay from the throwing arm platform or from the accumulating platform. When the accumulator platform contains 10 bales, an arm trips and the platform elevates and allows the bales to slide off in a neat stack. The platform returns to horizontal to await the next two bales. As long as the baling process is not so fast that the next two bales are thrown toward the platform before it has returned to horizontal, there should be little problem.

·
Super Moderator
15,819 Posts
I agree with Vincent, I don't think a Hoelscher would slow the MF/Hesston 1840 down. Those balers are the dream for square bale making.

Regards, Mike

·
5,859 Posts
I’ve heard a lot of folks say the hoelscher can’t handle the bales per hour an 1840 can pump out. There are spring arm kits to fix some of the jamming issues of the hoelscher but it’s still going to limit the max bales per hour. Still a great baler though!

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know anything about an MF 1840, but I do run an older version Hoelscher accumulator behind my old NH wire tie sm sq baler. If the Hoelscher accumulator is working as it is designed to do, it should have little effect on baling speed. The potential slow down of the baling process can happen when the baler fails to tie a bale and you have to stop the baling process and remove the loose hay from the throwing arm platform or from the accumulating platform. When the accumulator platform contains 10 bales, an arm trips and the platform elevates and allows the bales to slide off in a neat stack. The platform returns to horizontal to await the next two bales. As long as the baling process is not so fast that the next two bales are thrown toward the platform before it has returned to horizontal, there should be little problem.
We have a Hoelscher behind two BC5070. Both are upgraded but still have problems with arm clipping the next bale sometimes. Most 1840s around here have a Kuhns accumulator.

·
Super Moderator
15,819 Posts
The 1840 is a little faster than the 5070 so it might be an issue. The 1840 is 100 spm , whereas the 5070 in 93 spm at the plunger,

Regards, Mike

·
Registered
877 Posts
You might consider a John Deere 348 baler. It is a 93 stroke baler and I should think would mate-up to your Hoelscher nicely. We have a 348 and it is a terrific baler. If you find a late model, it will have a larger twine box too.

Good luck!
Bill
Had a JD 348 ... now have a BC5070 now ... want a MF 1840 for a better bale. Not going to bite the bullet for a MF1840 and Kuhns.

Was wondering if any one had MF1840 with Hoelscher?

·
Super Moderator
15,819 Posts
Had a JD 348 ... now have a BC5070 now ... want a MF 1840 for a better bale. Not going to bite the bullet for a MF1840 and Kuhns.

Was wondering if any one had MF1840 with Hoelscher?
I am sure you can find a gear that would allow the Hoelscher to keep up with the 1840. Also, you could back down on the rpm's ever so slightly and find a sweet spot that would allow you to keep your favorite gear and maybe allow the Hoelscher to max out. Those MF/Hesstons are sewing machines.

Regards, Mike

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am sure you can find a gear that would allow the Hoelscher to keep up with the 1840. Also, you could back down on the rpm's ever so slightly and find a sweet spot that would allow you to keep your favorite gear and maybe allow the Hoelscher to max out. Those MF/Hesstons are sewing machines.

Regards, Mike
Mike, I will let you know. 1840 should arrive 5-2 but won't be until 6-1 there about.

·
Super Moderator
15,819 Posts
Mike, I will let you know. 1840 should arrive 5-2 but won't be until 6-1 there about.
I can guarantee that you will love that baler. It will work well down in the Republic. I really enjoy baling with mine. Post some pics when you get going good with it. It has about a 15 minute learning curve. I adjusted my side doors in about an inch and it seems to make a perfect bale for me and adjusted my measuring wheel(star) to make a 35" bale. Seems to work better for my 1036F Kuhns at that length.

Regards, Mike

Reactions: slowzuki

·
5,859 Posts
I’ll second Mike. I’ve had my 1840 2 years now and while I kept my jd 336 and 348, one of them is gonna go up for sale. The only negatives I have for the 1840 is I can’t see the bales/twine while still in chamber. Easy fix with camera. The other is the pick up not ideal for easy rebaling of rounds by hand. Not a big deal or common issue. Drug the old baler out to do that last year.

·
Super Moderator
15,819 Posts
Start out with hydraulic pressure set about 160 pounds and fine tune from there. Adjust the side doors in about an inch. Use good heavy twine. Get a moisture meter and install the sensors. She looks like a little red jet getting ready to launch.

Regards, Mike

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Nice! I always liked the peg on the hitch of my 4590 for storing the PTO shaft. Looks like they did away with that on the new ones.
Delivered and was told hitch is on order. Shouldn't that come with the baler from the factory? Not how I would have done it. Do different tractors come with different hitches. I still have my hitch for my JD348 to pull with the pickup.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.