Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a supplier of low-starch hay in Missouri. I am in Raymore but will travel. Based on the horse's test results, my veterinarian has recommended no more than 10% combined starch (NSC). I am willing to buy a supply for 6-12 months for one horse. Trying to avoid hay soaking. I am not high maintenance buyer, but apparently, my horse is. Any recommendations would be awesome.

·
247 Posts
I am a horse owner and a hay producer so here is what I suggest. Find a quality and reliable local hay producer. He does not need to be fancy or super sophisticated, but needs to be willing to work with you, and you need to respect his time and efforts to help you. The best low starch hay (in my experience) is late first cutting hay after the stems have dried. It is often not bright green and pretty, but it is palatable. So buy 3 or 4 bales, quickly, take a sample (2 or 3 is better) and have it tested. Tell the hay guy what you are doing, then rush the sample, so the hay from that wagon is still there when you get the test results. If it meets your needs, buy it, store it and use it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am a horse owner and a hay producer so here is what I suggest. Find a quality and reliable local hay producer. He does not need to be fancy or super sophisticated, but needs to be willing to work with you, and you need to respect his time and efforts to help you. The best low starch hay (in my experience) is late first cutting hay after the stems have dried. It is often not bright green and pretty, but it is palatable. So buy 3 or 4 bales, quickly, take a sample (2 or 3 is better) and have it tested. Tell the hay guy what you are doing, then rush the sample, so the hay from that wagon is still there when you get the test results. If it meets your needs, buy it, store it and use it.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Eddie is spot on....I am in sw mo to far away to be of assistance ... we raise hay for our retired horses that need low sugar hay...and we sell off excess.....I suggest you look also for someone that produces timothy hay as it tends to have what your horse needs ....good luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.