Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
IAhaymakr
380 Posts
It hasn't been officially approved for use by the EPA yet, although it is anticipated that it soon will be. Pioneer and FGI are telling growers it won't be available until 2016, interesting that Alforex rolls it out this soon.

This year would have been a perfect one to have had low lignin alfalfa in the field, since the weather constantly delayed timely harvest.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi-Gest (Alforex's brand name) Low Lignin alfalfas are not transgenic so FDA or EPA registrations or permits are not required before commercialization, as per sources at Alforex.

·
Super Moderator
8,695 Posts
Standibility is supposed to be similar to any other alfalfa.Later it stands and chances of getting a heavy rain and wind the greater the lodgeing chances.

No technology agreements to sign like RR alfalfa.

I am a dealer for Alforex Seed,they acquired Producers Choice who I have been with for yrs.

·
Registered
390 Posts
When they develop low-lignin and Round-up Ready, I'll be into that.

·
IAhaymakr
380 Posts
I can't help but wonder if all this research to evaluate this product was not done with haylage in a dairy tmr @ 60percent moisture. Dry hay is a different story
Why would dry hay be different? Lignin content increases with plant maturity and can negatively affect forage quality at any moisture in the harvested product.

·
Hay Master
1,763 Posts
Alforex Seeds (an affiliate of Dow AgroSciences) brings two alfalfa varieties to the commercial market, Hi-Gest 360 and Hi-Gest 660, available on a limited basis for the 2015 planting season (patent pending). These varieties are not glyphosate-tolerant

Hugh,

Forage Genetics International stated they will market their low-lignin variety as HarvXtra, which anticipates commercial availability for the 2016 planting season, pending deregulation from the USDA. HarvXtra will be sold in a trait stack with Genuity Roundup Ready alfalfa.

Me I do not want the RR trait.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.